Chapter 1: Venture Day

Sunlight poured through the open window as the sun rose over the mountains. It was Venture Day, the one day in the month where the Venturers leave the safety of the forest and out into the world that was taken over by monsters, many years ago.

Of course this was very dangerous, as the monsters are vicious and would stop at nothing to try and capture at least one of us. It has happened before, but back then, the security was undeveloped. Things are much different now.

Yawning, it took a great amount of effort to get out of bed but somehow I managed. The wooden floor was cold and it sent shivers up my spine when my bare feet came into contact with it. I stood up and did my morning stretch, my body made cracking sounds as I did so. Yawning again I looked out my glassless window. Wooden huts were scattered thought the forest, some trees even had tree houses in them, though those were for the younger families who were able climb the ladder to and from the house.

People were already awake and going about their day to day business. I could see some people of the Service already up and cooking breakfast in the Base square. Some were also preparing the extremely long wooden tables for the rest of us.

My mother used to be part of the Service. She was a healer because she always loved to help people, that's how she meet my dad. He was a Venturer like me but a monster had badly injured him on one of the Venture Days, it was my mother who helped and healed him back to his original state.

Gram says that their love was so beautiful, they were like soulmates. They had such a strong bond, and could never be separated. I could only remember glimpses of them, my mother more than my dad.

My mother died giving birth to my younger sister, Freya, and my father died from a monster attack not long after. I was only little at the time, so I can't remember much of them.

My most solid memory of my parents was when my father had just come back from the monster kingdom Zyire, my mother and I were waiting at the door for him. I can remember running to him, and he lifted me up and spun me around. I remember my mother laughing as she held her stomach that had Freya inside. My dad stopped spinning me around and with one hand, and fished inside his satchel for something. He pulled out a necklace. It was simple, a black leather cord with a rather odd silver pendant hanging from it. That was all I could remember.

Gram said that they asked me to give it to the person who I fall in love with and only that person. I plan to fulfil their wish.

Clutching the pendant and realised that I was looking out of my window for quite a long time, some people were staring at me.

"Sorry." I mumbled, and turned away.

Seeing as it was Venture Day, I was to wear a specific outfit that consisted mainly of leather clothing, such as; a brown leather jacket, black leather trousers and black leather boots. The only thing about this outfit that wasn't leather was my black tank top.

Of course, we found all these garments in the human city ruins, which was around a two hour journey to the nearest one. It's a mystery why they are still there. We find the most interesting things in the ruins. It always fascinated me how humans in the olden days were, they came up with the craziest contraptions. How strange it must have been to live in a world where there were no monsters.

After I had dressed and did my hair in the classic Venturer style, which was a rather strange braid that managed to keep all of my hair out of my face, I rushed out of my room.

Myself and Freya lived in the family house by ourselves, but Gram lived nearby as she was the only family we had left. As if in sync, as soon as I left my room, Freya left hers.