Chapter 16: The Syren's Call

"Are you sure about this?" Freya whispered once more from behind, I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was nervous. Both of them were.

"Nope." I answered and it was true, I couldn't decide whether I was making a mistake or not. I trusted Syren wholeheartedly but it's a game of risk. I'm already a traitor but I can either be a traitor and get away with it or get caught. 

"I think I'm just gonna climb this tree, you know, so I can see them coming." Rose was already gone before I could respond. It seemed she was even more nervous and I quietly laughed, Rose was never the type to be nervous about anything.

None of us saw them arrive but one second there was no one in sight and then the next, all three of them were directly in front of us, well as close as they could go before the border.

My sister from beside me gasped as she witnessed three monsters up close for the first time in her life. I on the other hand couldn't tear my eyes away from Syren. Nothing had changed and yet, everything had. I knew so much more now and my heart started beating a little faster because of it.

My whole body went warm and I had to repress a smile. 

"Once again Dawn, you're a good shot." Syren smirked as she lifted the plain wooden arrow. I much preferred my new metal one. "I don't know how you keep doing it."

"I'm just that good." I teased and held up the metal arrow. "You're not getting this back by the way." 

"I didn't think I would." 

We both smiled and I couldn't describe the feeling of delight that washed over me from just seeing her smile. Damn, get a grip.

I nodded to the other two Protectors but they were more focused on the young Watcher, especially Ricard. 

I noticed Freya had hidden herself behind me and Rose was nowhere to be seen. 

"Oh um, this is my sister Freya." I stepped to the side and revealed the now shy Watcher. She smiled slightly and waved. "Freya, this is Leixa, Ricard and Syren." I pointed to each monster while I silently looked around for Rose.

The monsters had the courtesy to smile warmly and it was Syren who spoke, "It's nice to meet you."

"You too. Dawn's mentioned you a few times."

"Is Rose still up in that damn tree?" I muttered to no one in particular, desperately trying to change the subject though I couldn't stop the blush that formed on my cheeks. I looked up and sure enough, I could see red hair through the leaves illuminated by the moonlight. Sighing, I ran my hands through my hair and called out as quietly as I could, "Rose, we don't have time for this!"

"Nothing's stopping you from talking Dawn!" I faintly heard her reply. I noticed the Protector's seemed to find the response entertaining but I rolled my eyes. It was true that I could continue on without her but I wanted Rose to meet Syren and mainly Leixa. Call me selfish.

"I'll be back." Turning away, I quickly climbed the tree to the same branch Rose was hiding on. Though before I did, I heard a soft 'be careful' come from none other than Silver Eyes which made me smile softly.

"What are you doing?" I harshly whispered to Rose once I reached her. She was clinging to the trunk as if her life depended on it.

"What does it look like I'm doing? Warning them." I was tempted to pull her out of the tree. "Get your ass down here."

Rose peered down at the very amused Protectors. "But there's three of them."