Chapter 3: Escape

I had always been a fast runner and throughout the years my speed improved, as did my stamina. It was evident that as I leaped over the stairs and ran straight for the front gate, all my years of training had paid off. 

The kingdom was very large, containing many fancy buildings and structures that I had never before seen in any city ruin that I've visited. If it wasn't for the situation that I was in, I would have loved to stop at just marvel at the sights. But there was no time for that now, and there never will be. So instead of sightseeing, I focused on the task at hand. Getting out.

The streets of Zyire erupted into chaos as I sped by. Every monster had a different reaction as I passed.

Quite a few screams sounded from either side of the street but amongst them, whispers could be heard. Whispers about the legends of the human survivors.

I was forced to ignore all of them as I ran by in a blur. I could see it. The front gate into the kingdom, which also happened to be my only exit.

The Protectors behind me had both super strength and hearing, but neither were as fast as me. The gate was short enough to climb over but high enough that I would need a running jump to actually reach the top.

Flipping over the gate without getting caught, I found myself in front of a flat patch of land that I recognised oh so well.

The clearing was a long stretch of land between the capital monster kingdom of Zyire and the Base, but if you ran fast enough, you'd make it in ten minutes.

My head was still throbbing but I pushed through it, seeing the edge of the forest just over the horizon.

The trees grew nearer and nearer with each step I took. I began to wonder whether the Watchers on duty were watching this unfold.

I was close, so close to being under the protection of the border but I made the mistake of looking behind me. Only one Protector was in pursuit, charging at me with all her might. I had the feeling that the other Protector stopped chasing once I jumped the gate.

Because I looked behind me I lost some speed and my captor caught up with me and grabbed me from behind but before she could pin me down, I flipped us around in mid air so instead, I was the one on top.

Her spear fell out of her hand which I grabbed and held against her neck, fully intending to make use of it.

Her headpiece had also fallen off due to our crash landing causing her hair to be in such a mess, some of it tangled around my wrist. Her shiny silver eyes stared at me with defiance, reminding me of myself not a few hours before.

The monster tried everything she could to try and shake me off including using her superior strength but every time she did, I dug the spearhead deeper into her neck until she realised that it was no use.

She growled, a deep and guttural sound that came from the depths of her body. 

I had to make a decision and fast.  

Remembering that she spared me, I stared into her molten eyes and my mind was made up.

"We're even now." I snarled before throwing the spear away, rolling off her and running past the border.

Reaching for the first tree I came across, I held onto the trunk as if my life depended on it whilst attempting to regain my breath.

Looking over my shoulder, I could see the monster still on the ground. Some stray pieces of hair in her face as she stared at me. She wasn't glaring which was strange, she didn't even hold a hateful expression. To my surprise, she was smirking.