Chapter 2

After their run in with Stephen, Ant and Dec made their way to Dec's home. It was almost 7 o'clock and Ant was invited over for dinner.

"So...are youse gonna tell your mam and dad about this whole soulmate business?" Ant asked. He avoided eye contact with Dec by kicking a pebble as they walked.

"I haven't thought 'bout that actually," Dec worried. "I reckon they won't be too keen that me soulmate's another lad."

Ant mentally reprimands himself for making his friend worry. "Look, I think they'd accept that Stephen's your soulmate. I mean, me mam didn't mind when I told her me soulmate's a guy..." Ant's voice trailed off.

Dec stopped in his tracks, letting Ant walk ahead, and stood on the sidewalk frozen in disbelief. "Youse found your soulmate?!"

Oh shit, Ant thought. He turned around and made eye contact with a wide-eyed Dec. "Aye," Ant sighed.

"Why didn't you tell us?" he said as he engulfed Ant into a hug, just as Ant did earlier. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Youse not mad at us?" Ant frowned.

"Well, I would've liked it if youse told us once ye knew, but what's important is that youse told us now," Dec answered. Dec pulled away from the hug. He then slung an arm around Ant's shoulder as they started walking again.

"When did you meet the lucky lad, man?" Dec asked.

"'Bout four years ago," Ant replied.

"You ever told 'im that you fancied 'im, that he was your soulmate?" Dec prodded.

"Nah, I was too scared," Ant sighed. "There's no point in trying now either. I heard he's found his own soulmate."

Dec stopped their walk again to comfort his friend with a hug. "I'm sorry, man. I can't imagine how it feels."

"Aye, well, I guess me case is just one of the rare ones. You know, that 'unrequited love' shite," Ant huffed into Dec's shoulder.

What was meant to be a comforting hug only made the pain Ant felt worse. It's a miracle that he hasn't broke down into tears yet. He stepped away from the hug and stood facing Dec, hands shoved in his pockets.

"I don't know if this is any consolation, but at least you're not like those people who can never see color even after they meet their soulmate," Dec offered.

Ant shrugged. "I guess...look, can we not talk 'bout this no more, Declan. Youse putting us down."

"Sorry, Ant."

"It's fine. Now come on, I'm propa hungry. Last one, loses their pudding," Ant yelled as he got a head start on Dec.

"Oi, that's not fair!" Dec screamed after Ant.

Ant ran up the sidewalk and was almost at Dec's front door, when he was suddenly tackled down into the grass. Dec laughed as he scrambled to his feet and ran in the house before Ant.

Still on the grass, Ant smiles sadly to himself. It's moments like this that he cherishes, especially now that he knows for sure that this is the extent their relationship will go. He'll have to learn to accept that he'll always just be a mate to Dec. Nothing more.

Ant slowly stands up and brushes off his clothes. He takes a deep breath and forces himself to smile before entering the Donnelly household.