Chapter 15

September 25, 2017

"Ant!" Mika squealed as soon as walked into the living room. She got on her feet, leaving her brother with their Daddy, and toddled over to Ant's open arms.

He lifted her off the ground and gave her a cuddle. "Hi, you!" Ant showered her with kisses, causing her to giggle uncontrollably. "Happy birthday, Mika! You're one today. You're this much." He held up one finger in front of Mika, which she tried to grab, dopey smile wide on her face.

"That's right. You're one!" Ant grinned. He then looked at Dec and Ollie, who were both busy playing with building blocks. "And happy birthday to you, lads!"

"Thank you, Uncle Ant!" Dec laughed. "What do you say, Ollie?"

The little boy with his short brown curly locks and bright blue eyes giggled and waved his arms at Ant.

"I'm gonna take that as a thank you." Ant smiled. "Now, you two ready for your present?" 

"Yeah!" the twins shouted.

"Okay, let me just fetch it," he said as he set down Mika next to her brother before retreating back to the hallway, where he had left his gift. "Get ready, guys!...Ta-da!" On a lead, Ant had a 6 month old chocolate lab.

"Dog!" Mika made grabby hands at the puppy. Ollie crawled over to the pup and started to pet it, while Mika hugged it.

"His name is Hurley and he's your doggy now." Ant sat down next to the two happy kids. "Can you two say, 'Hurley' yet?"

Mika looked at Ant and grinned. "Dog!"

"Haha, yes. He's a dog. I guess we'll work on the name thing more."

Dec scooched over next to Ant. "Wow, man. You got them a dog," Dec whispered in disbelief. It wasn't necessarily bad; he was just surprised by the gift.

"Yeah, Stephen told me that you wanted a dog for your birthday, so he let me get you and the kids one," he explained. 

"You're a bit tight, aren't ya? Making us share one gift," Dec joked. 

"Oi!" Ant nudged Dec. "Hurley's not a cheap dog. I got him house-trained and all that. Even got you guys some stuff for him already."

"I'm just messing with you like." Dec slung an arm over Ant's shoulder and pulled him in for a side hug. "Thank you, Ant. Me and the kids love Hurley. You made my birthday wish come true."

"You're welcome, Decs," he replied as he looked longingly at Dec. I wish you can make my birthday wish come true: for you and the kids to be my family.

At that moment, Stephen waltzed in. "Hurley's here!" He lifted Mika onto his lap and started to play with the dog along with the kids.

Dec let go of Ant and joined his family, leaving Ant by himself. The scene in front of him was almost directly taken from any cliche family movie. A happy couple with two beautiful children and a dog to complete their family.

I guess I'll keep wishing then.

June 24, 2020

"I got you! Who's gonna save you know?!" Dec evilly laughed. He swung Mika around in the pool water before pulling her close again.

"Superman is gonna save me!" 

Stephen came running out to the backyard with Ollie right behind him. "Come on, Ollie. We gotta save your sister from lil ole villain!"

"Oi! Who you calling little?" Dec pouted. 

"You Daddy!" Ollie giggled. 

"Come on, bud! Let's save Mika!" The two jumped into the pool and swam  towards Dec and Mika.

Ollie started splashing water at Dec, while Stephen wrestled Mika out of his hold. 

"My superman!" Mika yelled as she wrapped her arms around Stephen's neck. "Go kick Daddy's butt, Dada!"

"I'm getting weak though, Mika. I need some power." Stephen said, voice getting softer.

"I'll make you strong again, Dada!" Mika planted a smacking kiss on each of Stephen's cheek. "There!"

"I think it's working," Stephen said with a booming voice. "I can feel the power in my blood. Thanks, Mika! Now, I can kick Daddy's butt!" 

He sat Mika down at the edge of the pool before swimming back to where Ollie was still splashing water at Dec. "I've got this, mate!" Stephen lifted Dec, bridal style, and waded to the stairs leading out of the pool. He then walked the perimeter of the pool, only stopping when they were by the deep end.

"Stephen, what are you doing?"

"You have been very bad! You must be defeated!" Stephen shouted in his superhero voice.

"Let go of me!" Dec played along. 

"Let you go? If you say so," Stephen shrugged. He then dropped Dec over the deep end of the pool, creating a big splash. "We did it, guys! We defeated the lil ole villain!" he cheered before jumping back into the pool and swam over to his kids. 

Dec emerged from the water and wiped the water off his eyes. He regained his breath and joined the rest of them. "I think that's enough superhero fun today. We should get out of the pool now."

"Aww, but Daddy," Ollie whined. 

Dec pulled Ollie in for a cuddle in the water. "No, sorry, bud. We've been swimming for hours like. It's time to head in."

"No, Daddy!" Mika insisted.

"How about this? You and Ollie can have ice cream if you do what Daddy is asking," Stephen told the twins.

Mika tapped her chin as she thought. "Just say yes, Mika! I want ice cream!" Ollie urged his sister. 

"Fine, we'll do it."

The Mulhern-Donnelly clan emerged out of the water together. Dec and Stephen each wrapped their kids in their towels and help them dry up. Once they were done, they directed the twins to sit on the patio chairs underneath the shade on their deck.

"Okay, you two wait here while me and Dada  get your ice cream," Dec ordered, to which the two 4-year olds obliged to do.

Once alone in the kitchen, the couple set to work. Dec retrieved the bowls and spoons, while Stephen got the ice cream and the scooper. As Stephen scooped the ice cream, Dec wrapped his arms around Stephen's waist from behind and pressed his bare chest against Stephen's back.

"You spoil them you know that? You're always the good cop," Dec said.

"Hey, I got them to do what we wanted them to do, eh?"

"By bribing them?" Dec raised an eyebrow at his husband.

"I wouldn't use the word 'bribing,' I prefer entice."

"Well, whatever you call it, you always end up spoiling them," Dec said as he tickled Stephen's bare stomach, causing the taller man to stop his work momentarily. "Next time, can I be the good cop?"

"Do whatever you want, love." Stephen turned his head so that he's face to face with Dec. He captured Dec's lips and shared a sweet kiss with him. 

Their impromptu snog session was interrupted though by a small voice by the doorway. "Dada! Stop kissing! I want my ice cream already!" Ollie stomped his feet.

"Alright, sorry, sorry." Stephen chuckled. "Here, I'm done scooping them. And since you're already here, you can carry out your own bowl."

"Fine," Ollie sighed as he carried his ice cream bowl. 

"Wow, his Donnelly side is really showing," Stephen commented once Ollie was out of earshot.

"Oi, you. Watch it," Dec warned, a smile playing at his lips. 

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." Stephen before giving Dec's lips a peck. "Let's better get this out before Mika shows her Donnelly side, too."