Just Another Day, Remastered

Chloe's toothy smile was subdued, and even that threatened to break little Max's little heart. "Alright, spill. What's up? You were acting pretty weird at dinner. You didn't even try to feed Bongo. I had to double up. What's wrong?"

Max shook her head, resting her hand on her temple. She'd read about this once – her mind getting acclimated to her new body, being in it so long. The adjustments were being made. She hoped. It could be in the process of violently rejecting her, or taking away her old memories forever, but she was more on the optimistic side. "Sorry, just... headache. I'm trying to remember what happened. It's kinda fuzzy right now."

"You need a doctor?" Chloe slipped out of her bed, and crossed the room to hers. "I can't have you getting sick on me, Max. This is our first sleepover! Your parents will never let you come over again!"

She winced in mid-chuckle. "My parents love your parents. It's not your fault. Maybe it was the paint fumes?"

She slipped onto the bed, and sat over her friend's covered stomach. "We've been working on it all day, and a lot of days before that. And it's not even in this room. Don't make me tickle the truth out of you, Maxine."

Just yesterday, Max was in this same position with Chloe. And this was a Chloe that was going take a lot of getting used to. At least the hormones were still there – mentally, at least. "You trust me, Chloe?"

The girl's eyes were curious, but they were the same piercing blue she was determined to keep so bright and full of adventure. "Of course, Max. Where did you bury the body?"

"I'll tell you later tonight."

"You better, dude. I don't like being teased."

When the strawberry blonde leaned down and rested her crossed arms against the younger girl's chest, in only her undershirt and panties, Max Caulfield could say the same thing. Wisely, she didn't. "I'll wait. You've got a lot of splainin' to do, Maxy."

Naturally, this would have normally lead to Max blushing embarrassingly and pushing the girl off, and the two having a long, goofy laugh.

Instead, this time around, she took on the challenge with open arms. In case of apocalypse, don't look away from those blue eyes for a second.

It wasn't so much a staring contest – though the other smirked when one blinked – but it was a fierce looking contest. Two sets of blue eyes unflinchingly matched each other in intensity, and even though Chloe was the one on top, she felt herself whimper after several minutes.

Max felt a little adventurous. Time to play the rebel. "You trying to send me a message, Chloe?"

"Nope. Just waitin' for yours, Max."

"I could tell you on the other bed."

"Not comfy enough on this one, my little doe?"

"No. I'm exactly where I need to be. A Doe, Chloe?"

"You're so freakin' innocent, you got big doe eyes. It's cute, in a creepy way."

She smirked. "Innocent, huh? Miss 'I drew a butterfly today' Price? You're the one staring into my pretty, doe eyes."

Chloe blinked. "Actually, I didn't notice if they were pretty or not. But now that you mention it..."

And the staring began again.

This time, it wasn't as fierce a battle, for when Max was armed with the knowledge of her 'innocence', she used it to her advantage.

"Holy crap," Chloe laughed, almost rolling off the bed when Max's eyes suddenly opened wide while she bit her lower lip. "I didn't think you'd go full doe-eyed! You're hardcore!"