11. Coming Home

AN: Here is another Reylo drawing, with a dark Rey.

Also, in this chapter, pretend that Rey and Poe have met beforehand somehow. :)

On to the story!

Chapter 11

Ben POV

She stood beside him when the fighter landed on the dunes, close enough that he could feel her presence like a fiery burn in his mind, but not close enough for peace to flood his veins, as it did when she touched him. Dust and sand farther covered their clothes, pushed onto them by the landing mechanisms of the fighter.

Something alighted in Rey as the fighter landed, a something so bright and golden that he could sense it within her easily. He did not have to push. He looked over at her, stepping back and giving the fighter more room. A smile spread across her face, so wide and bright that it turned her cheeks pink with joy.

He found himself smiling, too, somehow.

At last, the door to the fighter opened, the two panels sliding to the sides and a ramp lowering to the floor. His heart beat faster with apprehension as he waited for the pilot, and whoever else was on the ship, to reveal themselves.

Only one figure stepped down from the ship, dressed in bright orange and white and wearing a helmet--the uniform of the Resistance. Beside him, Rey smirked. "I knew it," she mumbled under her breath.

Before he could ask what she meant, the pilot was taking off his helmet and Rey was running toward him. "Poe! She sent you?"

The man smirked, a smirk Ben knew all too well. This was the man he had interrogated, the best pilot in the Resistance and the man he had tortured. Ben could not help it when he clenched his jaw and stayed a good ten feet back. "Only the best for you, Leia said."

Rey shook her head, her grin widening. "Cocky."

The pilot--Poe--grinned back. "The most."

And then, with a great shriek of excitement, Rey leaped into his arms. A rush of jealously flooded Ben. He could sense her joy, and in that moment he wished he was Poe. He wished that he could know he made her that happy.

"It's good to see you too," Poe said, chuckling. And then the smile dropped off his face as his eyes met Ben's. "Is this him?" He asked, his voice darkening and eyes hardening.

Rey released him then, nodding. "This is Ben."

Poe stepped closer to Ben, looking him up and down. What a change. The last time he saw me  I wasn't covered in sand. Maybe Poe could read thoughts, because he said exactly what Ben was thinking.

"The last time I saw him he was calling himself Kylo Ren and he wanted to know a little something about a map."

Rey's eyes flicked between the two men, and her eyes widened in understanding. But when her eyes met Ben's, she did not look at him any differently. For that he was grateful. She did not say anything, either. She let him speak for himself.

"It's Ben now."

"You sound different. Don't you think he sounds different, Rey? Did he get a cold, lose his voice? He looks different too, a bit less intimidating without that dress. Good choice there, man, getting rid of that thing. Wasn't flattering you."

Rey stepped in front of Poe as he stepped closer to Ben, putting her palms out and pressing her hands against his chest. "Stop."

"I've changed," Ben stated, stepping closer to the pilot and clenching his fists.