16. The Exchange: Part Two

This is part two of "The Exchange." There will be one more part to this insanely long chapter. Don't think the book will end after "The Exchange" is done. This story is far from over.

I think most of you will particularly enjoy this chapter. ;)

Chapter 16

Rey POV:

Night fell quickly. Silence settled over the base, and people went to sleep. Rey had quickly changed into simple sleeping clothes, a plain cream pair of pants and maroon shirt.

The events of the past couple of days swirled in her head as she lay in her bed, staring up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. How could she sleep when the adrenaline that had come earlier had not left her? Sighing, Rey sat up, swinging her bare feet over the bed and standing up. Quickly, she turned on one of the small lights, letting the globe of light illuminate her way toward the balcony.

Taking an apple from the bowl on her dresser on her way, Rey opened the door and stepped onto the balcony. It was then, holding the apple and being filled with adrenaline, that she wondered. Could she move the apple without touching it? Concentrating, Rey leaned onto the balcony railing, tossing the apple and catching it. And then, she watched as the apple floated, twirled, and dropped back into her hand.

Rey tried it again, spinning the apple in midair between her hands. It spun faster and faster, like a whirring top, and Rey couldn't prevent a grin from spreading across her face.

All of a sudden, Rey was all too aware that she was not alone. Someone else, a familiar someone, was very close, close enough that whatever bond she had with this person was glowing brightly. Rey didn't take her eyes from the apple when she spoke.

"Can't sleep either?"

She could feel his smile, warm and bright, and very close. Cocking her head, she turned to him.

"No." Ben was on his balcony, leaning on the part of the railing that was closest to her, and watching her intensely.

He was dressed similarly to her, in simple clothes meant for sleeping. Rey couldn't help but notice the single difference between them, his missing shirt.

All of a sudden, in a matter of seconds, Ben was standing up on his balcony and leaping over to hers, landing on the railing with precision, as though they weren't hundreds of feet from the ground. He seemed very much like a warrior, leaping in that way. Rey turned her face up to his, which was illuminated only from the two moons.

Ben raised an eyebrow, daring her with a gentle smile. The apple fell limp. Ben was giving her his outstretched hand, asking her to stand on the railing with him. Rey shook her head in disbelief, but took his hand anyway, using it for support as she stepped onto the railing, which she noticed was only a couple of inches wide.

"You're crazy," Rey told him, looking at the distance between the balconies. They had to be at least five feet apart. "How on earth did you manage to ignore how high up we are?"

Ben laughed softly. He leaned closer, as though he was going to tell her a great secret, and then whispered, his voice incredibly deep, into her ear. "Don't look down."

Rey nodded, her heart beating incredibly fast. She wasn't entirely sure if it was because of the thrill of danger, or because she was standing next to Ben Solo. "Alright," she said. "If I'm going to do this, I think I'm just going to have to do it. No thinking."

"You want me to go first?" Ben was doing that thing, leaning unnecessarily close to say something.

Rey shook her head. "I can manage. Alright, here goes."