Prologue

I was a normal teenager. I enjoyed normal teenager things, like texting, Facebook and hanging out with my friends. My life was normal, until it happened.

I had just gotten home after a long day at school. Mum was in her office down the hall, and Dad was in the living room watch some kind of sport. I think it might have been soccer. After dumping my bag on the table, I headed into the kitchen to grab something to eat. As I was reaching for my favourite snack, homemade choc chip cookies, I heard something. It was a long, irritating buzz, similar to that of a fly, but so much louder. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn’t shut it out.

“Dad, can you hear that?” I asked.

“Hear what, Kefira?” he said, or yelled. It was like he was right beside me yelling into my ear, not in the other room.

“That buzzing. And there’s no need to yell. I can hear you just fine.”

Dad appeared at the door to the kitchen.

“I’m not yelling.” He said, still incredibly loudly. “I’m speaking at my normal volume.” He paused. “And I don’t know what buzzing you’re going on about. The only thing I can hear is the faint buzzing of that fly.” He pointed at a fly that was on the opposite wall. I looked over, and it was like I saw the fly under a microscope. I could see so much detail; the pattern in its wings, the mesh-like pattern on the fly’s eyes, the small hairs on it bodies. I screamed.

“What’s wrong?” Dad asked. He sounded worried.

Suddenly, a mountain of noise descended upon me. There were so many sounds, I couldn’t describe them all. They combined to create an overwhelming screech of noise. I screamed, and covered my ears, trying to keep the sounds out. I collapsed on the floor, screaming and writhing. I only just managed to hear Dad yell to Mum over the din of noise.

“...Come quick...she...screaming...on the floor...scared”

I opened my eyes and looked around, trying to determine where these noise where coming from. I gasped.

I saw everything with a crystal clear clarity. Every grain in the wood of our kitchen floor, every imperfection in the paper on the fridge, every fibre in the dishcloth.

I looked up at my parents, and they took a step back in shock.

“W-w-what?” I stammered.

Dad recovered from his shock first.

“Your eyes. You have cat’s eyes Kefira.”

The noise seemed to press in on my ears, and my world faded into darkness.

 Author's Note:

Hey everyone who is reading this. This is my first story on Wattpad, so tell me what you think. :) I will try and update whenever I can, maybe every week or two, but I am still at school and schoolwork must come first *sigh* All readers have permission to nag me until I update if I take to long :)

My main character's name is Kerfira, which means young lion or lion cub. Most of my character's names will have meaning behind them, and I'll tell you what they mean in these author's notes.

That is all for my first chapter (or prologue). Please comment and vote. It will make me want to keep writing.

Thanks

xXInMyOwnWorldXx