Chapter Seventeen: Training, Training and More Training

My alarm blared, waking me from my deep slumber. I quickly turned it off, not wanting to wake Gaia up at this ungodly hour. I pulled on my training gear and headed over to the gym. I made sure to leave early, not wanting to be late. I did not want to a repeat of yesterday. Diego wasn’t there when I arrived, so I started running lengths of the gym to warm up. After doing numerous lengths, I started stretching.

“Showed up early today I see.”

I turned to see Diego behind me sitting in the bleachers.

“Diego I’m so sorry-”

“It’s fine. I’m over it. However, I am slightly curious.”

“About what?”

“How you managed to cause so much damage with your bare hands.”

“Oh, that. Um... you see, the thing is...um...well...”

“Kefira, spit it out.”

“Fine,” I sighed. “I had claws. Not fingernails; claws.”

“Fascinating. Hmm...”

“What are you think Diego?”

“I’m thinking we have to do some experiments.”

“Testing what, exactly?”

“You animalistic abilities of course.”

Diego made me run more lengths, then we started sparring, something we did every time we trained. Diego said it was essential that I didn’t have to rely on my Powers when I fought. After several rounds of sparring, Diego led me outside.

He led me to an area behind the gym. There was a massive obstacle course, complete with ropes, nets, and climbing walls. I think it was the same one used during the Competencia yesterday

“This will be your training tool for the next few days. I want you complete the course as fast as you can now.” I just stared at Diego. He had to be kidding. I was in no way ready for this.

“Now Kefira.”

“Fine,” I muttered. Diego led me to the start line.

“Ready?”

“No.”

“Fantastic. GO!” Diego yelled, starting the timer he had around his neck.

I struggled through the course. It was gruelling. I wasn’t the fittest person, which didn’t help. I ended up on the ground several time, and Diego just yelled at me to keep going. I finished the course in half an hour. Thirty minutes and fifteen seconds to be precise. Not only was it a difficult course, but it was a long one.

“Well done. Go to breakfast and we will resume training at lunch.” And with that, I was dismissed. I made my way back to my dorm. I jumped in the shower, washing away the sweat and grime. After I had gotten dressed into my normal clothes, rather than my training gear, Gaia and I made our way to breakfast.

“How was training?” she said as we sat down.

“Gruelling. Terrible. Horrific. Do I need to clarify further?” I said, collapsing onto the seat beside Lock.

“I think we get it,” Dexter said.

I shovelled my breakfast down; I was starving.

“Slow down Kefira, you’ll choke,” said a familiar voice. I looked up.

“I bet you would like that wouldn’t you Noa,” I retorted.

“No need to get angry,” Noa said, sliding into the empty seat on the other side of Lock. They exchanged smiles. Funny, I though she hated him.