part six

there's like a very small portion of this that has been edited, enjoy.

+

previously on... "maddy," she said as she took her seat and motioned for talia and maddy to sit as well. maddy took a long deep breath. "according to your blood test from earlier today, the hcg hormone is present. which means that you are, in fact, pregnant."

maddy didn't respond. she didn't want to believe that it was true. though, she'd known before this. but right then, in that moment, while she was sitting in a doctor's office, it just felt so real... it felt so official.

"maddy?" aimee asked. maddy's eyes were focused on the wall in front of her, distinctly to the left of aimee. from the corner of her eye, maddy noticed aimee glance at talia worriedly.

talia placed her hand gently on maddy's knee, causing maddy to finally look away from the wall. instead she looked at talia. she spoke quietly.

"i knew that i was. i knew it. it just really didn't hit me until now. this is real." she took a long, deep breath and looked over at aimee. "i'm pregnant."

"yes, sweetheart, you are. i know it's going to be hard, and it's always a difficult concept for anyone to grasp. but this is real, you are pregnant."

maddy nodded and looked down at her lap. she placed her hand on top of talia's that was still on her own knee.

"now if you want," aimee began speaking again. "we can talk options."

"options?" talia asked, speaking for the first time.

"yes. adoption, termination?" aimee trailed off as maddy's head popped up.

"i want to keep it." she said.

"are you sure?"

"yes. i want to keep my baby." maddy repeated, more firmly this time. maddy knew she could do it. she already loved her baby, though it was microscopic. she was going to get a job and do whatever else it would take to make sure this baby was safe, happy, and healthy.

"alright. well, in the meantime i'm going to get you some information on how to keep yourself and your baby healthy during your pregnancy. she reached into a file in her desk and pulled out a packet with the title "twelve steps to a healthy pregnancy" and handed it to maddy. maddy lightly flipped through it for just a few moments before looking back up at aimee.

"i'll read all of this later," she promised. "thank you."

"of course," aimee said. "now on your way home you'll probably want to stop and pick up prenatal vitamins, you can find those at any drug store. the dosage information is outlined in the packet, but if you have any questions you can call me."

"yeah, sure." maddy agreed.

"are you currently on any prescription drugs? no birth control, or anything?"

if only, maddy thought. but she just shook her head no.

"alright. oh, and the results of your std panel are back as well." maddy nodded. "everything's good. you're clean."

"thank god," talia sighed, causing maddy to roll her eyes.

"thank you, aimee." she said.

"of course," aimee said. "so you don't know anything about this boy right? any health problems that you may know of?"

"no, i don't know anything."

aimee just nodded and stood up, so did the girls. "well, that's everything i have for you. i'll walk you out and have one of the secretaries make your eight week appointment."