Chapter 5: Plan into Action

One Month Later

Second Person P.O.V

"Let's do this. Makarov probably already sent everyone out for training for the games," you say, walking up to Crime Sorciere near the Fairy Tail guild.

"Yeah, but before we go, we got you something," Meredy says, reaching into her bag and pulling out a (F/C) Crime Sorciere style cape with their guild mark replaced by your independent wizard emblem.

"This is so cool," you whisper, taking the cape and swiftly slipping it on. "Thanks."

"No problem. If we're working together, we might as well get you some fashion sense," Ultear says.

"Touche."

"All right, let's get a move on," Jellal ushers.

We nod and begin walking toward the Fairy Tail guild. It's around mid afternoon and the sun is at its highest point in the sky. The four of you make it to the entrance and your ears manage to pick up voices inside.

"Wait," you command, putting your arm out to block their path. "Most of them are still here. Let me go in first."

Jellal nods as you crack open the door and slip through the entrance while shutting it behind you. You look up and see Makarov directing a small group of people consisting of MiraJane, Gajeel, Juvia, and Laxus along with the Thunder God Tribe sitting in the corner.

"Gramps, you have to pick one of them to be the fifth member," Laxus' deep voice says, sounding exhausted as if they'd been debating this for a while.

"I know, but it's a hard decision considering they're all equal in power," Makarov ponders.

You clear your throat to make your presence known, and judging by the startled movements of every person in the room, it's safe to say they hadn't noticed you at all.

"(Y/N), what are you doing here?" Makarov asks.

"Well, I have a proposition to discuss with you," you answer.

"Very well."

You take a few steps forward and momentarily glance in Laxus' direction. His eyes are solely focused on your movements as you approach the bar.

"Recently, I have partnered up with Crime Sorciere and we believe Zeref is somehow involved in the Grand Magic Game." You pause, taking a breath. "We want your permission for Jellal to take Mystogan's place as your fifth member so we can get more insight in the arena."

"No way!" Gajeel shouts immediately. "We can't trust that guy after all he's done."

"We trusted you after you nearly killed three of our members," Laxus says lowly.

"Look who's talking," Gajeel retorts.

Woah, this took a turn.

"Enough!" Makarov bellows. "That's actually not a bad idea. It would give us a huge advantage to have a former wizard saint on our team. He is technically a member, anyway."

I was going for stopping Satan himself, but that works, too.

"Great." You clasp your hands together and turn your head to the door. "They're on board, guys!" Moments later, Jellal, Ultear, and Meredy enter the guild and take positions behind you.

"Jellal has already studied Mystogan's magic. What now?" Ultear asks.

"I sent everyone off to train for three months before the games, so I expect you to do the same," Makarov directs toward Jellal.

"Yes, sir." Jellal nods. "Anything else?"

"Be in Crocus by July first. I assume you'll make your own sleeping arrangements?"

"Taken care of," Meredy answers.

The four of us end the conversation and exit the guild. You trail a ways behind Crime Sorciere as they go farther in to the distance. You halt when you hear a voice behind you.

"Hey, (Y/N), hold on," Laxus calls.

You hide your smile and turn toward his figure. "What can I help you with?" You didn't mean to say those exact words, but usually people just want something from you.

"Nothing. I was just wondering if you'd want to train with me and the Thunder God Tribe. I've never been able to find someone to match my magic power and you're close enough," he claims with his arms crossed over his chest.

You fake a sigh and pretend to be in deep thought. "Well... I guess I could teach you a few things before the games."

The corners of his mouth twitch. "So is that a yes?"

You tap your chin with your index finger. "Yes." A tiny grin forms on his face at your behavior. "When do we leave?"

"An hour. Get packed and meet us at the train station." Right after the words leave his mouth, he suppresses a disgusted face.

You just laugh because you know exactly why this is about to be the best train ride ever. "Can't wait to see you try to be all high and mighty with this one."

"You know?" he asks almost instantly.

You walk over and pat his chest where sparks that you're positive aren't from his magic erupt through your palm and up your arm. "Hate to break it to you, but the most powerful Dragon Slayers get it, especially if you had a lacrima put inside of you because of the special ethernano."

Laxus's eyes widen as if he just learned the most important information of his life. You burst out laughing at his face and end up hunched over with your hands on your knees.

"It wasn't that funny," he scoffs, obviously annoyed.

"It was t-to me," you stifle out between laughs. A few minutes pass before you regain your composure and straighten up.

"Are you done?"

"I think so," you say, blowing a loose strand of hair out of your face. "It's always nice to see men who think they're all terrifying and invincible show emotion." Laxus grins at that. "See, that was almost a smile. That's what we call progress."

To your surprise, Laxus actually smiles, apparently finding your joke funny. When you study his face, you can tell he doesn't do it often, if ever, and you can't help but feel triumphant.

"Go get your crap. You're down to forty-five minutes," Laxus commands, going back to his regular attitude.

"Yes, bolt boy!" you mock salute and Laxus scowls.

"And stop calling me that!" he yells, as you waltz away. You throw up your middle finger as you enter the woods, knowing he's still watching you.

✻ ✻ ✻

You make it back to Porlyusica's in no time and begin packing your bag with clothes, journals, camping tent and other essential items. Porlyusica is off most likely picking herbs or yelling at children.

You smile to yourself as you think about the banter you exchanged in with Laxus. You've gotten a pretty good vibe off of him and the vibe tells you that he's closed-off and keeps to himself. You're still curious about what the skeletons in his closet could be but shake the thoughts from your head, knowing you need to focus on the mission.

The moment you zip up your duffle, you realize something. You're about to spend three months with four people you barely know who wanted to kill you last month, and only God knows where they're taking you. You shrug it off as you know that, if they try anything, you could probably just wipe them out.

The weird thing is, you didn't hesitate to trust Laxus. Trust is a very hard thing to give and something made you not question his offer, but rather take it on the spot. You have never done that before. So why is this time so different?