twenty.

graduation. a time that was supposed to be a momentous event for both seniors and their families, nearly destroyed gerard. he remembered when he was in mikey's shoes. literally. he wore the same shoes as he walked down to get his high school diploma. he and frank were sat outside of the stadium. both with cigarettes in between their fingers. frank had his head rested on gerard's shoulder, watching as he smoked before sitting up and smoking from his own cigarette. they sat together quietly. before gerard broke the silence.

"i can't believe mikey is gonna be in la this time tomorrow."

frank looked over at gerard, "is he leaving right after dinner?" 

"lunch actually." gerard sighed.

"oh." frank said, taking another drag.

gerard nodded, looking over at frank's attire. he smiled a bit at how he cleaned up, wearing a white button up shirt and some black skinny jeans. somehow gerard was wearing almost the same thing, only he had wrapped a red tie around his neck. 

"you look like a baby." he giggled.

"you are a baby." frank pouted.

"you're acting like a baby." 

"you're my baby." 

gee giggled.

"i'm two years older than you. i'm not your baby, daddy."

"you're my baby daddy, then." frank grinned.

"how is that possible?" gee asked.

"it just is." frank smiled.

gerard shook his head, laughing. he had put out his cigarette and pulled frank closer.

"i'm still gonna miss mikey though." he sighed, placing his chin on top of frank's head.

"i know baby, just wait a year. this time next year it'll be us on the plane instead of them." frank said.

"but, a year is a long time." gerard whined.

"you know what's a long time?" frank asked.

"what?" 

"the seventeen years i spent not knowing you." he smiled a bit.

"the nineteen years i spent not knowing you were tough too, y'know?" 

"i can imagine." frank shrugged, still smiling.

"can you really though?" gerard asked.

"maybe not." 

"well, they were shit. but i'm glad i have you now." 

"i'm glad i have you too." frank smiled as he looked up and kissed gerard softly.

they kissed for awhile, frank's fingers tugging at gerard's hair as frank brought gerard closer. 

"that's enough, homos." ryan said, walking out hand in hand with brendon.

"what the fuck? ryan, you're homo." brendon pouted.

"no, our entire relationship is a revenge plot on dallon for breaking your heart last year." ryan shook his head.

"but, i didn't love dallon as much as i love you." brendon pouted.

"gay." frank said, getting up from gerard's lap before standing up. 

"yeah, but i still found you crying in the boy's bathroom." ryan shrugged.

"so, you don't love me?" brendon pouted.

ryan paused for a moment, giggling a little.

"of course i love you. now, let's watch our best friend's graduate." 

brendon and ryan walked back into the stadium with frank waiting for gerard. he soon realized what frank was doing and hesitantly got up. frank held his hand out, smiling a little when gee grabbed it. the followed ryan and brendon inside, sitting down.

gerard sat next to his mom, while frank sat on the other side of him. brendon sat on frank's free side with ryan next to him. they waited for the music to start playing before watching mikey and pete and the other seniors walk down to sit in their plastic chairs. as the ceremony went on, gerard felt more close to tears. and when it was over, he held mikey close, crying in his chest. 

"gee, please stop crying. mom really wants us to take a picture, and i know you're gonna freak if your face looks like shit." mikey sighed, letting gerard nod and wipe off his face. he stood next to mikey, forcing a smile for his mother's camera. he didn't like how overwhelmed he felt, knowing that in a few short hours, mikey wouldn't be by his side anymore. 

the day went on and everybody went out to lunch, they had a good couple of hours after graduation. but as soon as they all stepped into the way's house, mikey and pete's bags were already in the living room. gerard held frank close before giving mikey another hug after placing his bags in the car.

"promise me you're gonna come home. that you're gonna be safe." he whispered to his brother.

"i promise, gee." 

and just like that, they pulled away from each other, mikey got in the passenger's seat while pete pulled out of the driveway. gerard held frank close to his side.

"it's gonna be okay, gee. i promise." frank whispered, placing his head on his shoulder.

"i know, baby, i know." gerard sighed. 

(((this practically pained me to write,,, but i feel like i have an idea for the next chapter and it's gonna pain me more. jOIN ME ON MY TRIP TO SUFFERING !!!)))