Loneliness

A light flickers on in the dead, quiet house.

     "I'm home" you call out waiting for a reply. The only reply you got was silence. Taking off your shoes you walked into the living room. "Dad?" you looked at the empty couch he frequented. You then walked over to the kitchen. "Mom?" It was also empty. You looked around in the kitchen, hoping to find some sort of note from them.
     'Maybe they're just out' you tried to convince yourself, trying to block out other ideas popping into your head as you went up to your room. Placing your bag down you sat on your bed, waiting for an hour in silence, listening as cars passed by. There didn't seem to be any sign of your parents car, for some odd reason. Deciding they might just be out really late, you laid down on your bed and fell asleep.

     The next morning you awoke to what was now a lifeless house. You were abandoned and you always knew deep down this would eventually happen.

  »»-------------¤-------------««  

     "Here we are at the scene of yet another highschooler's death. The murderer has yet to be fou-" you turned off the TV, tears forming in your eyes. Why was this all happening to you? Your best friend and all that were close to you have suddenly just dropped out of your life.
     "It's not fair. I don't want to be alone again..." you shook your head, hugging your knees. You didn't want to show up at school today anymore, but you knew if your mother was still around she'd scold you if you skipped. Getting up and putting your breakfast dishes away, you grabbed your bag and went on your way.

     On the way to your classroom, a bunch of people in the hallways looked your way, a sad look on their faces. They were quietly whispering to each other, and you would sometimes catch words like "Didn't all his friends die?" "You you think he's okay..?" and other words and phrases you learned to block out. As you entered your classroom, the classroom went silent. Nobody dared to look at you directly, and some were even crying since they were also friends with those people. The only one who looked directly at you was a boy named Akise Aru. He doesn't usually show up to school ever, but for some reason he decided to show up. Today of all days... you sat down in your seat.
     Your homeroom teacher walked in, announcing the sad news your entire school already knew. "Today is a sad day. Five of our well-loved classmates have died today" he paused, giving a moment of silence for the dead. A few minutes passed before he decided to break the silence again. "Also, we shall be changing seats today. Please look at the seating chart on the board and move to your new assigned seat." Everyone knew that it was to fill in the gaps in the seats as they exchanged looked.
     You walked up to the board, looking at the seating chart. You were no longer sitting in the middle of the room, but in the back of the room, the seat closest to the doorway. Making your way to that seat with your stuff in hand, you noticed that right next to you sat Akise Aru. You weren't sure how you felt about sitting next to him, but deciding it wasn't that big of a deal you sat down.
     Akise seemed to be taking note of something in his notepad. He then looked up at you. "I look forward to sitting with you for the rest of this year, (Y/N)-kun" he gave a light smile. You just nodded your head slowly, not sure how to respond, turning to look back at the front board. After awhile of the teacher's lecture, you lost interest and rested your head against the desk, your thoughts wandering once again.
     'Everyone around me has died... all the people I cared about. My parents abandoned me... Why is this happening to me' these thoughts swirled in your head and you could feel a slight pain in your chest. It hurt. Being alone again hurt. Akise glanced over at you and poked your shoulder, passing you a note.

Are you okay? the note asked. 

     You looked over at Akise and smiled with a nod. He looked unconvinced by your reply, but didn't seem to press you further on the matter.

     After class Akise walked over to you. "Want to walk home together" Akise asked out of nowhere, catching you a bit off guard. Blinking a couple times, you gave him a confused look. What? He just asked to walk home with you? You hardly even knew him.
     "Why?" you looked down.
     "Because we're friends" Akise smiled. "Or at least I hope we can be."
     You looked down at the ground for a bit. Then you nodded your head giving him permission to walk with you home. You didn't really like being alone, and if Akise wanted to keep you company and be your friend even... it wouldn't hurt. Anything was better than being alone.

     The two of you traveled in silence at first, the streets quiet except for a few passing by cars. The silence was finally broken by Akise after what seemed to feel like forever.
     "(Y/N)-kun, you're not actually okay are you?" he didn't even bother to look over at you at first as he waited for a reply.
     "What makes you say that?" you looked over at him.
     "All your friends just happened to die all at once, right? Don't you think it's strange that it was all people you were close to?" he inquired.
     "I suppose... I don't know why I wasn't killed as well" you dropped your gaze as well as slowing down to a stop. Akise stopped as well, staring at you. "It's unfair..." you could feel your eyes starting to water up. You slowly covered your face. "It hurts... I'm afraid of being alone again... I don't want to be anymore" you mumbled, shaking a little bit. Akise walked over to you and wrapped you into a warm embrace.
     "You're not alone anymore, (Y/N)-kun. I won't let you be," Akise promised. The pain you felt in your chest began to lift at these words. Words you have been wanting to hear for a very long time.

     "We're here... you didn't have to walk me all the way," you smiled, still happy that he did.
     "It's fine. I'm in no rush to get home or anything," Akise shook his head, examining your house. He seemed to be looking for something and you followed his gaze up to the windows.
     'Is there something wrong..?' you looked back at Akise. Shrugging off the thought, you walked to your front door, turning around to wave your new friend Akise off before entering. You turned on the lights, a little hopeful that your parents would appear around the corner, welcoming you home. Though you somehow knew you wouldn't be seeing them ever again deep down. Looking around the corner, you indeed saw nobody.
     'I was right' you slowly walked to the kitchen, opening the refrigerator. For the most part it was empty, with a few leftovers from the day before yesterday. The last night you had with your parents. Taking the food out, you slowly began to munch on it, only getting a few bites in until you stopped. You couldn't seem to bring yourself to eat more so you wrapped it back up and put it back. Taking out your cellphone you began to write another entry.

Today I found out all my friends died. Mother and father aren't home still either. They probably abandoned me. Now I'm all alone... 

You stopped, striking out that last line.

No. I still have someone. Someone new. Akise Aru. I'm not completely alone... as long as he's with me.