twelve

Peeta
"Here, here, here are your schedules for the day!" Effie chirps. Maybe she's high on... Capitol.

My eyes drift to the paper Effie shoved in my face a moment ago.

My schedule isn't too bad I suppose.

Katniss and I automatically switch sheets after a few moments.

We have half of our classes together, and I'm really glad

We have half of our classes together, and I'm really glad. I can't imagine being without her for days at a time. We hug tenderly, earning ear-piercing whistles from the jocks passing by the lockers. Then we turn to search out our first classes.

"Um, Katniss?"

She smiles sweetly, batting her eyelashes. "Yes, Peeta?"

I chuckle, "I don't think I can get to class on my own." It turns out that Katniss's prank gave me a badly bruised elbow, a dislocated shoulder, a bruised butt, an overstretched muscle in my back, and a slight concussion.

She's about to apologize again, I can see it in her face. So I just stop her with my fingers, gently stroking her scalp until her face relaxes. She nods. I think she gets the message. And she likes it, too.

It turns out Gale and I are in Capitol Tech first period. I don't really want to give him more opportunities to pummel me, but I don't have a choice.

In Health, Mr. Heavensbee makes us introduce ourselves, as if we're toddlers. Then he asks some health related questions to the class.

"Who has a family member in a medical profession? Raise your hands, come on. Proudly, ladies and gents!"

Katniss raises her hand. When Mr. Heavensbee asks her to elaborate, she mumbles, "Uh, my mother's a healer in District Twelve. And my sister is her assistant, I guess." She shrugs.

"Stand at the front of the classroom, Miss...?"

She whispers, "Everdeen."

"Stand at the front of the classroom, Miss Everdeen," he bellows. What's going on?

When she's front and center, he angrily demands, "Now you will speak up, stand straight, and tell us what you just mumbled into your hand."

I notice she's shaking

I notice she's shaking. Oh, poor Katniss. "I-I-I... I... can't do this." And I watch my sweet friend crumple onto the ground, sobbing heavily into her knees.

"Hey! Leave her alone!" Was that me? I must have a testosterone high. Running to meet Katniss, I coo, "Katniss, calm down. I'm here."

Long story short, he sends she and me to the guidance office. I think Katniss needs some time, anyway.