Chapter Twenty-Six

Rose stayed at the hospital for weeks and Axel never left her side. Dan and Phil's family came along, visiting them on Monday every week at the same time. Dan's mum tried to comfort her but she pushed her away.

Rose thought about what it would be like if their heart just stopped beating one day. Where she would go. What she would do. She thought she would just go back to the orphanage. That's what kept powering her along, hoping, praying, begging that they would wake up.

Today was the forty-first day since the car accident. Today was March twenty-third. Rose looked around the small depressing room. There was a small table in the corner which had flowers, get well cards, and huge hearts full of chocolate from Valentine's Day.

Axel sat beside Rose trying to comfort her and make her happy but she just couldn't smile. Axel squeezed her hand softly as Rose dazed off, staring at the floor.

"What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?" He said, his calm gaze stared at her eyes.

Rose looked away from the floor and looked up at Axel. "Do you think they will ever wake up?" She whispered in a flat voice.

"Of course they will. Like I said, they are fighters." He answered, "Don't doubt that."

Rose stared at him and gave him the slightest of a smile. "Thank you Axel I needed that." She said as she looked back up at Dan and Phil. Still laying in the same position from the first time she saw them.

Rose's gaze moved from his icy blue eyes to the dirty-smudged floor. She suddenly stood up, "I'm going to the cafeteria, I'm starving." She announced

Axel stood up quickly along with her, "I'll come." He said.

Rose gave him a small smile and nodded curtly. She walked to the door and stopped. She turned to look at Dan and Phil one last time before turning away and walking out the doorway into the long hallway.

Axel and Rose walked down the hall side-by-side. Axel's bare arm brushed against hers and butterflies flew in her stomach.

Axel's face turned red for probably the first time. Rose noticed and she looked up at him, "I'm sorry but did you just blush?" She whispered with the slightest hint of smile on her lips.

Axel glanced down at her, his face still tomato red, "What? No. What are you talking about?"
He bluffed as he looked away and ran a hand through his black hair.

Rose's smile grew bigger as she switched the way she was walking. She flipped around to face him while walking backwards, "Yeah! You were blushing! You're doing it right now!"

Axel ducked his head down in embarrassment, "You're going senile Rosy." He scoffed.

Rose stopped while placing both of her hands on his shoulders. Releasing one of her hand she placed at finger under his chin and lifted it up so his eyes met her's.

"You're cute when you blush." She whispered after a nurse passed by them looking down at a clipboard. Rose smiled at him. A real smile.

Axel's red face turned a little redder and he smirked, "And you're cute when you smile." He cooed in a low voice.

Rose blushed a little and smiled a little more. She leaned into him and smiled up at him while leaning on his chest, "If you like my smile you should flirt more often." She whispered.

Without giving him time to answer, she turned to the door and grabbed the handle. She looked back at him, "Come on slowpoke." She said in a soft voice.

Without waiting to see what he does she turned to the door again and pushed it open. She walked inside and straight to the door in the back of the large room.