Chapter 13 - "I Fell Harder Than J-Law At The Oscars"

To my wonderful, smart, funny and amazing readers thank you so much for your support for 'Something Like Fate' and helping it reach over 20,000 reads. You guys are the best.

When I opened my eyes the next morning I knew immediately that something was wrong.

I sat up quickly, and my head pounded as I adjusted my eyes to see where I was. It was dark, and the only source of light coming in was through the window which was situated right across from the bed where, up until a few seconds ago, I was blissfully sleeping. A feeling of dread and shame washed over me as I checked to see whether my leggings were still on and that no clothing had come off and I couldn’t be more thankful when I realised that nothing like that had taken place.

I closed my eyes to take a deep breath but I was snapped out of my state of relief when I felt someone stir next to me. My eyes widened in shock as I looked over to see a guy with dark hair snoozing away without a care in the world as I sat next to him having the biggest bitch fit known to man. Oh shit! SHIT! No! This didn’t happen! FUCK!

My eyes scanned over the unknown guy, who had his face turned away from me as he snuggled the pillow with his long legs hanging off the bed, and I felt tears prick at the back of my eyes as the realisation sank in that I was in a strange bed with a guy who I didn’t even know, completely vulnerable and open like I had never been before. I was tempted to hit him over the head to wake him up and demand answers but I was scared about what that may lead to and a part of me was terrified about the answers I would receive. I always made sure that I never ended up in a situation like this, especially after hearing the ordeal that Dina went through when she left her guard down. I couldn’t comprehend how this had happened.

I looked around the room to see whether there was anything I would recognise but it was too dark to make out any distinguishable features and I was paralysed from both shock and fear to actually move. I tried to remember what happened last night but the last thing that came to mind was Drew and I sitting out in the garden after he declared that he needed me.

“What do you want, Drew?” I asked impatiently as I just took in the cool air that hit my warm skin and I hauled myself up on the brick wall with my legs hanging out, looking down at Drew with slight contempt.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay?” he slurred and I could feel him trying to hoist himself up on the wall so that he was sitting next to me.

“Why are you so rude?” There was no judgement in my voice as I looked over the boy who made reading Shakespeare a walk in the park compared to understanding him.

He must have been pretty drunk because for once he told me the truth without concealing any emotion. “I’m shy,” he confessed so quietly that I barely caught the words that came out of his mouth. “I don’t really like letting people in which in itself is fucked up as hell. My father is a complete bastard who can’t look past the fact that his youngest son is into dudes and I fight with him every day because I very much doubt that God wants to spread hate by killing love. Haven’t you ever wondered why I don’t talk about my mother, Sophia?”

I simply shook my head as his eyes glazed over and I had to stop my hand reaching out and stroking his cheek in comfort. “She’s in hospital,” he continued in a low voice. “She’s getting treatment for third stage breast cancer,” he spat out as my heart ached for his family. “My parents are divorced so that’s why I’m staying with my arsehole of a father while my mother…he hardly ever lets us go see her and when I do I have to be all smiles and act like the perfect fucking son that I’m not because she doesn’t need to know that I’m just like that douche who she calls her ex-husband. So to answer your question, I’m rude because it’s easier than actually letting people know what’s going on. And I’m…yeah, sometimes I think that I’m allergic to life.”