Chapter 14 - The Complexity Of Life

I awoke to knocking as I opened my eyes and looked around me. I was at home, in my own bed this time. Everything was how it was meant to be – books scattered around my small room, my shoes lined up all straight against my lilac painted walls, my jacket lying discarded on the floor and I was in the one place where I could escape the realities of the events that had taken place. I would have had a lot of a better time losing myself in my dreams where Ryan Gosling wore chocolate and not much else if it wasn’t for the repetitive, annoying knocking. Whoever was trying to imitate Sheldon Cooper should just stop because they will never reach his adorableness to get way with annoying the hell out of everyone.

I buried my head in my pillow as I shouted a muffled ‘go away’ at the door as I assumed it was one of parents trying to get me to open up so I could get lectured about how I was so irresponsible for coming home so late in the day and how I wasn’t going to get any more money from ‘Bank of The Parents’ anytime soon.

The knocking continued until I lifted my head off my soft, warm pillow to hurl a series of abuse at whoever was knocking. “I’m sleeping,” I sleepily shouted. “Give me a lecture in a few hours when I won’t like, you know, kill you.”

And then, at that precise moment, the knocking stopped and I was met with silence which was only broke when someone spoke up.

“Don’t kill me,” Finn said as he cleared his throat. “I’m too pretty to die.”

I sat up so fast that I got a head rush as I plonked my feet down on the floor and stared at my door as if Voldermort was behind it. I cursed my parents who had probably let him in as I contemplated situation we had found ourselves in, our easy going relationship had somehow become complicated but perhaps it had always been like that. We’re honest with each other and I respect you enough to be straight, was what he had said last night but sitting there in my dimly light room I didn’t know how we would have this conversation after his surprisingly declaration that it had ‘always’ been me. But maybe it wasn’t surprising considering how we trusted and cared for each other. It didn’t matter either way because I felt ambushed to sort out my very messed up and hazy feelings.

“I can’t talk right now,” I said as I tried to get my breathing under control so he wouldn’t hear how freaked out I was.

“Sophia,” Finn breathed as I heard, what I assumed was his head, lightly hit the door. “Come on, we have to talk about…what happened.”

I shook my head despite the fact that he couldn’t see me and channelled a politician as I lied to my best friend. “I’m really busy so I can’t talk.”

“I thought you were sleeping?” he asked and I could hear both slight frustration and amusement seeping into his hoarse voice. I bet he has a bitch of a hangover today after he tried to act like a character off of Skins. Cook he definitely isn’t. “Look, I’m going to come in because we need to have this conversation whether you want to or not, Sophia.”

“Er…” I trailed off lamely as I tried to rack my brains for an excuse. “You can’t come in! I’m naked!”

I heard Finn laugh as the realisation of what I had just said sunk in. Out of all the excuses in the world I came up with that?! I’m heading to the doctor tomorrow and getting myself tested for foot and mouth disease because I somehow don’t know when to shut up.

“Is that meant to keep me out?” I heard Finn chuckle as I felt my face heat up. “In fact it’s having quite the opposite effect right now.”

I rolled my eyes at his words as I reluctantly got up from my warm, comforting bed and walked on over to my cupboard to grab a pair of jogging bottoms to replace the really short sleeping shorts I was wearing which made Miley Cyrus look like Mother Theresa. I knew I looked a state with my messy hair that was in a loose ponytail and my mascara smeared eyes which I didn’t clean up as I headed straight for my bed when I came home but I didn’t care as this was bigger than me looking like a third rate drag queen.