Chapter 10

a/n: Dedicated to wikhemmings for the super pretty cover!! Let's all ignore the fact that she can't spell my name right. Thanks Wik! EDIT: let's all be thankful maddie can (sorta) make her own covers now).

I follow Liam down through the barn, walking as fast as I can to match his quick, long strides. He doesn't say anything, and I don't know what to say. 

Awkward.

"So, um, thanks," I mumble. He looks at me as if only just seeing me.

"Oh, huh? It's fine."

I nod. 

"But seriously," he continues, "Don't let anyone put you down because of the scholarship. If anything, you deserve this more than her. She didn't have to go through all those tests and stuff like you did, she bought her way in."

I blink. "Thanks. Again." Then a sudden thought invades my brain. "So, you're technically saying that you bought your way in? I mean, you are paying..." I glance sideways at him playfully.

He looks at me with a sorrowful expression. "So, Jessica Brooke, you're saying that I shouldn't be here? Is that it? I'm not a good rider?"

"Shut up," I laugh, shoving him. He gasps and rubs his arm.

"And now you shove me!"

I roll my eyes. "Anyway, my friends are waiting for me at the house, so I should probably head over."

"So, you're saying that I'm not your friend?" Liam covers his mouth, his face jokingly shocked. I just facepalm myself. 

"Bye," I wave, and go back to the house. Bertoe, Tabitha and Rose are all in our dorm. Bertie is still unpacking, Tabotha is reading the ginormous book she has somehow managed to sneak up here, and Rose is walking around on her hands. As I enter, she stands up the right way.

"I do gymnastics," she explains to my look of complete confusion. "Where were you?"

Should I tell them? No. It's only the first day, and maybe they'll leave me alone now. "I was just brushing Arrow off. He's amazing to handle."

"Go on about your horse's good points," Rose rolls her eyes, "He hasn't got many."

I giggle and sit down on the floor. "Anyway, what shall we do?"

Everyone looks around at each other, until Tabitha speaks. "Maybe we should ask each other questions, you know, to get to know each other."

"That sounds good," Bertie agrees, and joins me on the floor. Tabitha drags her pillow over and Rose lies on her stomach. "So, Jess, favourite colour?"

"Blue," I say decidedly. 

"Lucky you're in Valegro," Bertie smirks.

"Tabitha, favourite book?" I ask. 

"Hmm," she thinks, until Rose nudges her with a, "Hurry up!", and she replies.

"Probably Nineteen Eighty-Four, by George Orwell."

"Who?" Rose asks blankly.

Tabitha blanches. "Nineteen Eighty-Four?" Her eyes widen. "George Orwell?" 

"Dystopia?" I try.

"Banned in Eastern Germany during the Cold War?"

We all look at Bertie. She shrugs.

"What? I like history!"

"Anyway," says Tabitha. "Rose, favourite food?"

"Pistachio and mint ice cream!"