Chapter 22

"And you have everything?" Mum asks, tucking my scarf into the collar of my coat, as dad puts my suitecase in the car. "All your clothes? And horse riding things?" 

"Yes, mum," I grin, and step foward to give her a hug. "I'll see you soon."

"I can't believe you're excited to go back to school," Lilly rolls her eyes, and throws her arms around me. "I missed you so much! And now you're going away again!"

"Hey, stop, you're making me feel bad!" I laugh. "Carry on with the art lessons, you're incredible."

"Oh, wait, that reminds me!" She runs back into my house, and returns with a wrapped present. "This is for you. Be careful with it, it's kinda fragile."

"Thank you!" I brush away a tear from the corner of my eye, laughing. I missed her too, so much. And now I have to leave her again? It's so not fair. "Look what you did, you made me cry!" 

"Coming, Jess?" Dad asks, smiling. With one last hug, I climb into the car, and wave as my mum and Lilly move away from us. 

"Remember to phone!" Lily shouts. "Have a good time at your friends!" And then they're gone, and we've turned a corner.

"This holiday went so quickly!" I sigh, feeling the present Lilly gave me, trying to figure out what it is. It's a rectangular, relatively thin package.

"You've still got your friends place to go to!" Dad fiddles with the radio, and Christmas songs play softly. "By the sounds of it, it's going to be fun."

"I'm going to give Arrow an extra carrot before I go," I strech out, looking at the cheery houses flying past. Dad suddenly seems to remember something.

"Jess, can you see a present on the back seat? I think it's wrapped in snowman paper," dad says, gesturing behind him.

I reach over and grab the present. 

"You can open it now, if you want to use it."

Curiously, I slide my finger under the folds of the wrapping paper, tearing it off. And I gasp. 

Inside is the most beautiful headcollar I've ever seen.

It's made from soft, navy blue leather, stitched with silver thread around the edges. A little gold heart charm hangs from the side of the headpiece, contrasting with the darkness of the leather. 

"Dad, it's so beautiful!" I reach over and hug him. "It's amazing! It's the best present ever!" 

"You deserve it," he smiles. "We're so proud of you, Jess."

"Thanks, dad," I smile, and look out the window, stroking the leather of the headcollar gently.

•  •  •

I get back to school before any of their others arrive, so I quickly dump my suitecase in the dorm, change clothes, and head straight down to the stable, with my new headcollar. 

"Hey boy," I grin, undoing the bolt into Arrow's stall. "Did you miss me?"

He nickers softly as I hug him, searching my pockets for treats. In return, I give him the carrot from my pocket. 

"Oh, hi Jess," I look over to see Leah, one of the stable hands. "I didn't know you were back."

"Couldn't stay away," I grin, giving Arrow a pat.

Leah smiles. "That headcollar is amazing. Christmas present?" 

"Yup. Parents."

She laughs softly. "Anyway, could you take him down to paddock three? I've been turning him out daily with all the others but I haven't got to him yet."