Chapter 26: The Fatal Kiss

This chapter is dedicated to Demigod_Me for having high levels of badassery! xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alice

The blood continued to rush from his body, flowing freely through my fingers despite the pressure I was using in a futile attempt to stop it. Tears burned in my eyes as I started to face the undeniable truth; he was dying.

"Alice," he whispered weakly. "It's okay, don't cry. I've had a good run and you... made it... worthwhile."

A scream of raw agony tore its way from my throat as the light faded in his eyes and his final breath passed through his lips.

Alice – 55 hours earlier

Everything was numb. For hours I'd wandered the streets of an unfamiliar town, and at some point it had started raining. The icy cold droplets pelted me relentlessly as I drifted aimlessly from street to street. There were no solutions – except death.

A harsh ringing erupted from my pocket, awakening me from my trance. I gazed blankly at the illuminated screen, answering automatically. "Hello?"

"Where the hell are you, Alice?" Dean demanded, his voice cutting.

"I don't know," I replied honestly; I hadn't cared enough to keep track of my location.

"Cass found us and explained the Death Symbol, and what was necessary to stop it. He said you took off on him, Alice. I hope you're not planning on doing anything stupid, like, I don't know, dying." Dean's voice was dripping with sarcasm although more than a little concern filtered through.

"I'm not," I said, shivers racking my body. Dean calling had brought me back to reality and I was deathly cold, the rain increasing the frigidity of the already biting air. "Dad, please help me," I whispered, admitting defeat in the battle that I'd so desperately been trying to fight by myself. "Please, please don't let me do this alone anymore, I don't think I can last much longer."

"Find a street sign, I'm coming to get you," Dean said, his voice offering warmth instead of intensifying the bone-chilling cold that I was suddenly surrounded by. Dean was coming, he would help. Those were the last coherent thoughts I had before succumbing to the cold.

***

"Alice," a voice echoed gently. "Alice, can you hear me?"

I pried open my eyes a little, and immediately shut them. The white light was too intense for me to bear, and I groaned in a mixture of pain, frustration and bewilderment.

"Spill blood," the voice whispered compellingly. It was a voice you wanted to obey, a voice you were desperate to appease. "Hurt him. Kill him. He must bleed."

I would hurt him. I would kill him. I would make him bleed.

***

A rough shaking awoke me. My eyes snapped open to see Dean, his own eyes flitting worriedly across my features, searching for any sign of harm. "Alice, are you okay?"

Looking around myself, I realised that I was in the motel and no longer in the middle of nowhere. Dean must have found me somehow. I lurched forward and wrapped my arms around him, grateful for his warmth.

"Alice, tell me what happened," Dean whispered softly.

I burst into tears, all of my guilt and hopelessness manifested into a physical form. Despite my earlier reservations, I told Dean every single thing I had kept from him about the demon deal and his death.