Mike VS Reminscing the Resminiscing

M I K E

I can't believe it.. I, Carmichael Bartowski, will be working at the Buy More? That's the most lamest job someone could ever get! I mean, no offence to my dad for used to working there, but the Buy More? Really? Dad's gotta be kidding me. There's gotta be some mistake!

"Sorry - the - the what?" I smiled faintly.

"The Buy more." Dad raised his eyebrows, "Y'know, where you got dumped by your girlf-"

By that sentence, I'm pretty sure he forgot about not mentioning the details of my bad memories at the Buy More from 2 years ago. Don't worry, you'll find out sooner or later.

"Yes dad, I remember quite vividly about the Buy More." I annoyingly rolled my eyes.

"Good! Because, I'll be arranging your shift next week!" Dad plastered a proud grin on his face before turning his back and walking towards the kitchen.

"Wait, wait - Dad, dad! There's gotta be some kind of mistake - y'know I could be working somewhere else-" I said as I followed him.

"Shhh..." He turned around , "It's gonna be fun." He patted my shoulder.

"There is NO way I'm going to be stuck in the Buy More selling electronics to strangers who may or may not have money!" I complain, "There's just no way! I'd rather work at strip club - wait - no I think I'll just stick to the Buy More." I murmured.

"Mike, don't worry about it! The Buy More's not that bad!" Dad said as he opened the refrigerator door.

I took a seat on one of the black bar chairs near a counter in the kitchen and leaned my chest over it , with my elbows supporting me.

"Dad, you already know what happened in the Buy More..." I said, "Even 2 years ago.." My words trailed off when the thought of Rachel came into my mind.

Cliché as it sounds, she was the most beautiful girl I've ever met. I mean, her curly dark brown hair matched her black glasses that shines as her hypnotizingly green eyes sparkle, the touch of her soft pale skin and the luscious taste of her pink skinny lips on mine, she was perfect.

Every guy fell for her for sure! She had the tough Jocks, the nerdy Nerds, the computer Geeks, the Artists, Actors, Singers - Everyone! But out of all the options she had.. She chose me.

She said that every moment we had in our classes was the best moment. I was hers, she was mine.

Until.. I messed up. Which I still regret even up till now! It never left my brain.. Not even out of my system. I keep telling myself that one day she might call back and reply to all my 120 messages. But of course, she never did. Well at least so far - 2 years later..

I remember that one evening where I reminisced about how it used to be like between us. On that very night I was sure.. That I , Carmichael Bartowski, is still in love.

Out of the blue, my dad decides to interrupt the reminiscing of my reminiscing.

"Mike?" He snapped his fingers in front my face.

My vision started to become unblurred. I immediately shake my head and flutter my eyes in unison.

"Huh - oh yeah - no I'm not gonna work at the Buy More." I mumbled as I rub my eyes.

"Did you just reminisce on your reminisce?" Dad asked.

"No-"

"You did - did you?" He said disappointingly, "Mike, we talked about this - see this is one of the reasons why I wanted your ass in the Buy More - to move on." He explained as he side stepped back to his wooden chopping board and began slicing some cucumbers.

"I know, I know. But the feeling of knowing that I just lost the other part of me - y'know?" I groaned. At this point my heart began to ache. Ache in pain. Ache in suffering. The heart break kills my entire living soul!

God, I never knew I was this poetically deep!

"Mike! There's plenty of fish in the sea." He waved his knife.

There goes the saying.

"Yeah dad.. But she was a mermaid." I sighed as my chest burned in agony, "I mean, what would you do if someone you love the most leaves you? What if it was mom?" I continued.

I knew the second I mentioned mom in it, my dad would feel like his heart struck. That he knew he would do literally anything for Sarah. I knew I hit the bullseye's target. I knew that my dads heart would always melt like a burning candle when it came to family. Especially my mom, Sarah.

'cle Morgan told me they met at work in the Buy More. She came over as a 'modern damsel in distress' , as he would always say, with a broken phone. Of course as lucky as my dad was, he fixed it for her and I guess the rest is history. Therefore, here I am -not mentioning the intimate details of how I happened, of course.

My dad nodded as he pursed his lips, "I'd go after her.." He faced me.

"Exactly." I calmed myself.

Dad bit his lip as he looked down before raising his head up, "She still hasn't answered your calls , huh?"

I shook my head.

"Its been too long." He pursed his lips, "Don't give up."

Dad turned back to his chopping board and got out a bowl.

"Cucumber?" He offered, raising the bowl up to me.

Accepting his offer. Something was missing. A question. A rather important question.

"C'le Morgan said that you almost lost mom." I finally said, chewing on the cucumber.

"It's complicated." He said, "how did you know that anyways?" He asked.

"He tells me certain things I don't think I'm even supposed to know, when he's drunk." I explained.

Which is true.

"Including the Sandworm costume that you guys used to do in Halloween parties back in the day." I continued.

Which is also true.

I could tell by dad's body language that he was getting nervous. I could tell that his hands were getting moist, just by the wet marks he left on the counter with his hands.

"What do you mean? Did mom leave?" I eagerly asked.

I know the question I popped out is out of the blue, but I reassure you that I've a perfectly good reason.

The fact that my parents never told me about how they met and their general history is strange to me.

I pictured more of my parents being cutely disgusting in front of me - not saying they should - just like in movies where the parents show PDA in front of their child - again not saying that my parents should. Instead my uncle ends up telling me about their whole story.

"At one point." He sighed, "yes."

"Why?"

"Let's just say it was a computer problem." He faintly smiled.

"So you're saying that mom left you for a computer problem?"

"More or less. But I got her back." He said in a chippery tone.

Without wanting to ask furthermore questions, I slowly nodded, still processing what he said.

Computer Problem? Is that a code for something? A new slang made by the cool kids?

Whatever it is.. It's going to be engraved in my brain for awhile.