09. Travel Plans

Ding-dong...

The department store assistant looked up at the sound of the doorbell. Her usual bright I-have-things-to-sell smile wilted a little when she saw the shabby looking young man who had entered the premises.

'Sir? May I help you?' The unspoken words 'with leaving this place right away' were clearly attached to the sentence.

The shabby young man, i.e. me, didn't let herself be put off by that.

'Yes! I have some money with me, and I would like to spend it!'

The smile returned to the assistant's face in a flash. 'Really? Well, if that's the case, please follow me, Sir. What would you like me to show you?'

'Watches! I need a pocket watch. Nothing special, but it has to be reliable, and with a... oh, what do you call this fancy new invention when a watch makes "ding-dong" at a certain time?'

'Alarm?'

'That's it! A pocket watch with an alarm! I need to be at work every day at eight o'clock, punctually.' My lips twitched. 'Very, very, very punctually.'

'I see, Sir. Please come with me. I think I have just what you need.'

Following the assistant, I could hardly believe what was happening. I was buying something! Not just buying something, but buying it with my own money! I couldn't help a self-satisfied grin from forming on my face.

'Here, Sir... what do you think of this model?'

'Too flashy.'

'And that one?'

'That looks a bit too delicate. It has to withstand a lot of strain.'

'Like what, for example, Sir?'

I thought for a moment, memories flashing in front of my inner eye. 'Like a jump for a high wall, a fistfight, or a ride in a mine cart.'

The shop assistant blinked at me, taken aback. 'Um... what profession did you say again you worked in, Sir?'

'I'm a secretary,' I told her proudly. 'To one of the city's leading financiers.'

'Err... I see. The financial world must be an interesting workplace.'

'Indeed it is.'

'How about this watch, Sir? Sturdy, simple, and elegant.'

'Yes! That's exactly what I'm looking for!'

Snatching the item from the assistant, I let it snap open and shut. Walking to the nearest mirror, I put on a stony face, drew myself up to my full height, and let the watch snap open again.

'Knowledge is power is time is money, Mr Linton! Hurry up, Mr Linton! Bring me file XX322YZ4, Mr Linton! Right away, Mr Linton!'

Seeing the shopkeeper stare at me, I cleared my throat and closed the watch again. 'I'll take it.'

'Y-yes, Sir.'

'And there's another thing,' I added abruptly, glancing down at my clothes. 'I don't look particularly fashionable, do I?'

This time it was the assistant who cleared her throat – very diplomatically. 'Not as such, Sir.'

'Well, can you show me something better than what I'm wearing? Something appropriate for the city, but tough?'

'Certainly. Please follow me, Sir.'

Part of me was wondering why I was doing this, wondering why I didn't leave the shop but followed the assistant into the men's clothing department. I had never cared about how I looked. Not one bit.