Fifty one

"So that's him?" The officer cocked an eyebrow. "He doesn't look much. Lanky."

John's cheeks flushed in anger.

"Well I hate to break it to you, officer, he was the one who fucking kidnapped Ritchie." He snapped. John was about to continue until he felt Paul squeeze his shoulder.

"John."

He let out a stressed sigh.

He need to know what was happening to him. He.. fuck, Ringo was all alone with a fucking psycho and all they did was wait around and search for clues. John could only imagine the worst things. Was Ringo tied up? Was he being starved in a dark cellar somewhere a thousand miles away from Liverpool? Fuck, was he.. was he dead?

A chill ran up John's back.

"Paul?"

He turned. "Yes?"

"Let's search for him." John whispered once the policemen were out of earshot. "Jus' the two of us."

"John I---"

"You know him more than these fucking cops do."

Paul set his lips in a straight line, an unreadable expression written on his face.

"Please, Paul." John begged. "Ritchie's my brother, my best mate, I can't.. I-I can't let this happen to him."

"George's unpredicable. Fuck, he could be anywhere. Even if the policemen have his picture they won't be able to find him." Paul frowned. "He's very good at hiding."

"You must know something!" John fretted. "Some kind of place that's familiar to him or..."

"Wait.." Something in Paul clicked. His doe eyes went wide. "I might know where he is.. But.. I-I'm not sure. We haven't been there since.."

John furrowed his eyebrows. "Since what, Paul?"

"Since Pattie left." Paul murmured. "George wouldn't go there, it would open too many emotional wounds."

John shifted on his feet, trying to think.

"Maybe he needed closure."

"Closure?" It was Paul's turn to be confused. "What do you mean?"

John shrugged. "You know.. like he'll get over it or something like that."

"Still," Paul bit his lip. "It's a bit foggy." He looked at him. "But we could still give it a try, John."

"Okay," He nodded. "Where is it?"

"A bit far, about two days drive, give or take." Paul replied.

"Great. I'll meet you over at the coffee shop tomorrow at eight."

"John I---"

Paul widened his eyes when he bolted off. He sighed, placing his hands in his pockets. Once he got home, he packed his bags.

He took a quick glance at the picture frame that hung above the telly. He was there, an arm slung around his little brother. They were smiling.

Smiling.

Now that was something Paul hasn't done in a while.

"Oh George," He slumped over, face in his hands. "What happened to you?"