Chapter 11

Winters Manor

Esther stared at Heaven with her jaw hanging down. Hundreds of thoughts raced through her head as she tried to put all the pieces together, hoping they'd form some sort of picture that would bring all of this to make sense. That it would give her a damn good reason as to why her cousin – her dead cousin – was standing before her.

"You," Heaven said softly gazing at Esther curiously. Esther watched her with horror as Heaven went slowly over to her.

"H-Heaven," Esther whispered, feeling a little dizzy. "How ... how is it possible?"

A faint smile crossed Heaven's face and this irked Esther even more. She stepped back from her cousin, her eyes wide with fear.

"You're supposed to be dead ..."

Susie and Ricardo fixed their eyes on Esther suspiciously. Susie found it odd, but she had the feeling this girl wasn't the least bit happy to see Heaven.

As Esther kept stepping away from Heaven, she backed right into Arthur. She let out a low cry and spun around.

"Hey, take it easy!" Arthur laughed. Christine was next to him now but her wet eyes were glued on Heaven.

"Oh," Christine gaped at her daughter, "You're alive. YOU'RE REALLY ALIVE!" Christine exclaimed happily and ran to embrace Heaven in her arms. Heaven smiled, still feeling awkward about this entire situation. It was strange, even though she knew this was her family and that they had been looking for her, she had the strangest sensation that something wasn't right. She eyed the pale dark haired girl who stood next to her father.

"Sweetheart, I can't believe this," her mom said and stepped back to get a better look at her. "It's a miracle. And you look beautiful, where have you been?"

"I've, I've," Heaven stammered, forcing herself to take her eyes off of Esther. "I've been with Susie."

"Susie?" Christine said the name like she'd just heard the strangest thing, "Who is Susie?"

"I am," Susie raised her hand sheepishly and grinned at her. "I found your daughter at the beach. She was unconscious and I thought she was dead," she chuckled nervously. "Boy was I relieved when she opened her eyes."

Esther bit her lower lip, trying to tame the anger that bubbled within her.

Susie stared at Christine before shaking her head. "I, uh, I don't want a reward."

"Sure you do," Christine grinned and put her arm around Heaven, who looked at Susie uncomfortably. "After taking my daughter in and caring for her you deserve one."

"No, really," Susie shook her head. "I better get going."

Heaven turned her head to Susie.

"That is," Susie added quickly, "If you don't mind. Do you want to go back to my place?"

"Why would she?" Christine said wiping her tears away before Heaven could say anything. "Her home is here. This is where she belongs."

Christine kissed Heaven and Arthur wrapped his arms around them.

"Thank God I have my family back," Arthur smiled graciously. Heaven and Susie looked at each other before Heaven took a deep breath.

"It's okay Suze," Heaven nodded. "I'll stay with my – Er – parents."

"All right," Susie muttered, eyeing Esther, Christine, and Arthur with a hint of resentment.