ch. 2 (part-time jobs and stalkers)

ch. 2 - part-time jobs and stalkers

-------

I parked my bike outside of the gymnasium. I removed my flats, and replaced them with my rubber shoes. The moment my tutoring session was done, I made a bee-line towards the gym. I love Annika, but sometimes, tutoring a hyperactive 6-year-old can stress the hell out of you.

It was nighttime now, which would mean that their practice has just finished.

I passed by two boys who were running like there was no tomorrow. I blinked in confusion when I heard them kept on saying something about 5 AM.

"What will happen at 5 AM?" I asked Sugawara, as I walked inside the gym.

Sugawara shushed me as I said this. I raised a brow so he leaned in and whispered, "Tanaka-san was asked by Daichi-san to help the two new first-years to practice for the three-on-three match against the other first-years on Saturday. I'm thinking that they'll train here in the morning when he volunteered to keep the keys. It was surprising, considering his habit of being late most of the time." I snickered at that.

I suddenly had an idea. I whispered back to him, "Why don't we surprise Tanaka-san by also showing up in the morning?" My eyes sparkled with mischief. He just sweat-dropped.

"But you also don't wake up in time—"

"Sora-san! What brings you here?" I heard Daichi call me from behind.

"I was hoping to see what the newbies were like before I head to work, but it looks like I just missed them."

"You would not believe who those newbies were, Sora-san," Tanaka exclaimed as he helped in cleaning the floor. "It was that ginger-haired kid from before! Then there's Kageyama Tobio, the famous King of the Court."

My eyes squinted a bit, as I raked through my memories of a ginger-haired kid.

"He's the one who can jump really high and has really quick reflexes," Sugawara added.

It was as if a light bulb was lit in my head as I now recalled who they were talking about. How could I forget that boy? "Oh! The one from junior high? I remember now!"

----------

"Hey, kid," I said, placing a shoulder on the ginger-haired boy. His match has just finished, and he's bawling his eyes out on the steps of the school's entrance. "Cheer up. You were great back there."

He sniveled, and wiped away his tears with the back of his hand. He looked up to me, and blushed. "Y-You think s-so?"

I smiled and nodded. "Even though you were horrible is so many ways, you've got some real potential in you. Work hard to improve your skills, okay? It would be a shame to put them to waste." I walked down the steps and waved my hand at him.

"W-Wait!  You're from Karasuno?" he shouted, pointing at my jacket.

I looked at the back of my jacket, which said 'Karasuno High Volleyball Club.' I grinned at him and nodded.

"The Little Giant was from Karasuno. I want to be like him, so I want to study there in high school."

My eyes widened, mainly because we'll be having a powerful ally with us in the future. I then grinned.

"I'll be expecting you, then."

-------

"I was able to talk to him. He told me he was planning to study here since Little Giant used to study here. What are the odds?" I exclaimed.