ch. 8 (it's starting to rain)

ch. 8 - it's starting to rain

“Ahh! My hair! It’s drenched!”

“Brat, worry about that later; there are more important things to take care of other than your stupid hair!”

“What’s more important than my hair—which isn’t stupid, by the way.”

“How about the fact that we are stranded here?!”

The two of us bickered back and forth, neither of us backing down. It’s been 10 minutes since the rain started, and we have no way of going home safely.

The battery of my cellphone has recently been just drained by Oikawa, who wasted it by playing games, not allowing us to call anybody for help.

Our clothes were soaked wet to the bone, which made it feel like I’m trapped in a freezer. They clung onto me like second skin, which made me think that this will be my cause of death: hypothermia.

Due to my pale complexion, my red nose, ears, and blue lips easily stood out. Oikawa has been constantly teasing me about it, saying that I resembled Rudolph. I responded by thwacking his head.

I slumped on the bench, and wrapped my bony arms around my frail body. I changed out of my school clothes and into my tracksuit. My legs were now covered with my jogging pants, and my arms were covered with my jacket. Yet, it’s still freezing as heck.

“It’s so cold,” I mumbled out. “Why won’t the rain freaking stop?”

Oikawa, who was still wearing his soaked tracksuit since he had no extra clothes with him, chuckled, and shook his head. “It’s not even that cold, Sora-chan.”

I comically gawked at him. “What are you talking about?! It’s freezing!”

“The cold never bothered me,” he said with a shrug.

“Freak,” I muttered. “Ugh. I want to make a bonfire right now, and roast myself with it. It’s so damn cold!”

Suddenly, Oikawa reached out to me, and hugged me close to him. My head rested on his chest, and I wrapped my arms around his torso, acting on pure instinct.

It’s like hugging a huge teddy bear.

A full second passed before my mind registered what just happened. I abruptly jumped away from him, and put up a defensive stance.

“What the hell are you doing, brat?!” I shrieked, my back hitting the wall of the waiting shed.

“You were complaining about the cold, so I thought I would share my body warmth with you,” he said, scratching the back of his head. He had a sheepish grin on his face, but his cheeks were faintly tinted with pink.

My cheeks furiously blushed. “T-That’s…” Pretty smart. “So cliché of you!”

“But you might die of hypothermia!”

I mentally paled at the thought. “That doesn’t matter!”

“Yes, it does!”

I groaned, and massaged my temples.

Okay, think. What can I do to get out of here? I can’t just ditch Oikawa, but I can’t stand to be with him any longer. Hmm. I forgot my raincoat and umbrella, so we’ll get drenched if we try to get the show on the road.

“Hey, Sora-chan,” Oikawa said to me, curiosity in his tone.

I whipped my head to him. “What?”