Chapter Two: Friends, Stories and Raindrops

“So tomorrow, you’re going to have lunch with friends?” My therapist, Mrs. Lea asked, looking straight at me. We were at her home. I didn’t have an appointment with her until next week but still; she was someone I could always talk to whenever I need advice. We always had appointments here or at my place to give off that comfortable, at-home vibes.

“No, technically, all of them are not my friends yet, I haven’t met them.”

“Who invited you then?”

“Enma. I don’t know if we’re friends now, but we’ve been talking for the whole week, well, most of the time she was the one talking.”

My therapist raised her eyebrows and motioned for me to go on.

“Enma said that I should ready myself in a week, because I’d be meeting and eating lunch with them.”

Mrs. Lea smiled. “I think Enma is a good friend.” She verbalized.

I shook my head fervently. “No no no she isn’t my friend yet, we only talked a little every time we have the same class!”

She sighed. “Isn’t that considered a friend?”

I shook my head again. “But she didn’t say we’re friends. Though she did say we were meant to be one. I don’t want to assume, it’d be rude.”

She contemplated for a while before saying; “You don’t need to get permission to be friends. It just happens. Friendship is something that blossoms without the people involved knowing or talking about it.”

I scrunched my face in confusion. “Really?”

“Yes, and you might not know, all along, Enma considers you as one.” She smiled at me.

I felt a pang of guilt. “Oh, I didn’t know.”

“I think she does, anyway, tell me about what happened this week, especially with your friend Enma.” I could feel that she emphasized the word friend.

“It was okay. I liked some of my teachers, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like most of them. That’d be just disrespectful. I like them because they’re nice and teach well. The other teacher’s lectures are just hard to comprehend. Concerning the subjects, I enjoy Literature and History the most. Calculus is hard, but I like Physics. I wonder why Calculus is hard when it is almost practically the same as Physics because they both involve formulas, problem solving and such?” I divulged, while scrunching my face into confusion.

Mrs. Lea chuckled. “I don’t know Julia, I don’t like numbers.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for asking.”

She chuckled again. “You don’t need to apologize for everything. It’s not an offense to ask, unless it’s something that could hurt the other person, or you’re asking something out of line. Anyway, go on.” 

“Enma and I talked for the whole week whenever we have the same period. But we didn’t talk when the teacher’ discussing something. Sometimes, I could feel she wants to talk even when the teacher’s lecturing, but I always tell her we should listen, she then stops. Whenever the class ends, she reminds me the that I eat lunch with them next week, which precisely, is tomorrow.”

“She seems to be nice! What’s bothering you then?”

I puffed out my cheeks and uttered; “I’m nervous about tomorrow. What if her friends don’t like me? What if they think I’m not good enough to sit with them? I don’t know what to do tomorrow.”

Mrs. Lea paused for a moment before saying; “Just go with the flow, that is what taking a risk about right? Be yourself, and if they find you not good enough, then it’s their loss. She stopped again for a second. “You’re a good person Julia, don’t let small things, such as doubt and insecurity hinder you from possibilities.”