Haggard's Crossing

Haggard's Crossing, in the valley, is a cold and unfriendly place. Usually, the point where two or more roads come together is one weary travellers stop to rest for a while.

Who knows when somebody might come by, on one road or the other ___ perhaps some jovial traveller with whom one might exchange a friendly word ___ perhaps an empty cart or carriage, on which to hitch a ride.

But Haggard's Crossing, in the valley, was not a place where people stopped for long, if at all. Travellers hastened on their way, and avoided the crossroads if possible.

There were indeed other other routes to the village at the head of the valley, so this one was seldom used these days.

The valley was deep and dark, and the river snaking its way along its base, often rose above its banks and flooded the road running alongside.

A cold, damp mist permanently obscured the view in the valley ___ day and night.

But it was not merely the geography and climate of the place that deterred people from travelling this way. There was another reason why people feared it.

The locals said that some years before, a man had been robbed and killed at this very spot. The dead man's restless spirit roamed the valley in search of the culprit or culprits who had taken his life.

It was this very spirit that was blamed for causing further 'accidents' which occured there from time to time.