Chapter 9: A Mind Unrest

I stood on the balcony for a while even after my mother had retreated back into the ballroom. I had no words, and I did not want to face the King or anyone else for that matter. Everything that she had said was true. I was falling for the King. There was no use denying it. I took the time to figure him out, to understand what made him the man that he was, I related myself to him, I pledged to be there for him, hell I even defended him for the crimes that I know he committed. As many times as I tried to deny it, the proof just keeps throwing itself in my face. I grip the balcony railing and stare out into the horizon.

"Addeline," the King started. I turned around hastily and wiped my face. How long had he been standing there? Did he hear us?

"Your Highness-"

"I saw you hadn't returned, but your mother had. I just wanted to check in on you." Thank the gods above that he hadn't heard anything. He steps a bit closer towards me. I swipe my last remaining tear and give him a nervous chuckle,

"Oh uh, she just had to go. That's all."

"I can hear how upset you are."

"Your Highness, please," I reply as I gather my dress and head inside. He grabbed my forearm,

"Addeline, you can talk to me. Since when do you not want to talk to me-"

"Damien...just let me go." He hesitates, but reluctantly he lets me go. I walk back inside the ballroom, and the party's still going on in full swing. I sat down at one of the tables and fiddled with the food. I heard the clicking of footsteps headed my way and I did not turn in that direction. The King most likely asked Alina to come over to talk to me. The chair across from me was pulled out, and then someone sat in it. I still kept my eyes on the plate.

"You know Addeline, I can offer you a proposition." Lord Morris replied. I looked up and saw that it was him sitting across from me. He was a thicker man and wore a simple white suit. He had his traditional human lord seal on his suit. He had greasy black hair that was pushed back and landed just near his neck. His jaw was rigged sharp, and his features often resembled an emotionless brunt. I groaned mentally. Good thing he no one can get in my thoughts.

"And what deal would that be," I ask

"You could switch places with your mother. You were the one I wanted originally, but I heard the King had you wrapped around his finger. But if you want, you could replace her." He offered with a smile. His smile made me want to desperately rip it off, but it also made me sick. I put on my best fake smile,

"As tempting as your offer is, you and I both know that pet marks on humans are final until death. So I clearly cannot take her place, my Lord." He chuckled

"Damn, you are a smart one. He was right about that." My eyes narrowed,

"Who was right about that?" His smile faded. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat and looked a little nervous. As if he had let something slip that he wasn't supposed to.

"So, if you aren't the blood whore for the originals then what are you doing here?" he asks trying to change topics. I know better than to announce my actual connection to the King because that would only make me out to be a target. I already am a target from my mysterious bloodline ties, no need to make it worse.

"Not to sound rude, my lord, but why such a sudden interest in my personal affairs?"

"Because sooner rather than later, the royal family will get tired of you. Don't think your something special to them."

"Ah, I'm so glad that the man who has to force himself on to human slaves can pass his judgment on to me. If you'll excuse me." I stood from the table but was grabbed by my arm and slammed back into my seat. I felt the throbbing of pain in my arm. I turned my head to look at the enraged Lord. His cool demeanor had gone out the window,