Chapter 33: Welcome to the Family

The news about Theodore's real death is still fresh in the air. It has been a quiet two weeks as they grieved him all over again. Damien claims that he needs time to himself, so he stays in another guest room and spends hours of his day rereading Theodore's diary.

I have decided to busy myself with fixing this town that they let fall to shambles. I spoke with previous staff workers who had quit when the family completely shut down and asked if they would want to return. They had agreed, and before I knew it, the castle was filled with the same hard-working staff. They worked avidly to restore the castle to its formal beauty.

A lot of things had fallen to the elements since the staff abandoned the place. Different parts of the garden were overrun with weeds, critters, and rain damaged. Dishes were piled in the kitchen, and the furniture was collecting mountains of dust. But all the mains, kitchen staff and garden workers fixed and cleaned the entire castle.

Alina and I even helped fix up the servants quarters under the castle for them and made sure it was comfy for them. I had noticed Alina wore different gowns than before. Her dresses use to be loose and flowing, but now they are larger gowns. And all the gowns she wears now are paired with large cloaks.

I tried to act as if I didn't notice. No need to bring up old things, but I had to admit that it was a tad weird. Both of us decided to go out to town and speak with the townspeople. To help guide them since everyone seemed to have lost their way. Hopefully, this wouldn't result in any violence against us.

They could be too far gone, and the only way to regain control would be to display an act of dominance. Something that townsfolk, like I use to be, hated. It could range from a public whipping or escalate to a public execution. But we did not want to come at them like that. Hopefully, a talk will be enough.

Alina and I headed towards the town without the guys knowing, no need to worry them. We decided against taking a carriage because that would only draw more attention to ourselves. So we walked down to the village where the sound of broken glass, rough fighting and screams could be heard. I'm starting to doubt that anything that could say would register to them. Perhaps we should return and inform the men about where we had gone.

But I noticed Alina's perseverance, so I followed closely behind and ignored my doubtful gut. We stood on a large wooden stage that was often used for plays that the town actors and actresses would perform. No one paid us any mind and continued fighting, looting and harming one another.

"People of Nothar!" Alina shouted. This seemed to gather some of their attention...for a few seconds at least.

"I am sure you all know who we are. So we demand your respect as we stand here and tell you about all the new changes that will soon go into effect." The crowd began muttering, and the number of angry faces in the group let me know that they were not particularly happy with what we had in mind. Alina opened the document that she and I had written and forged the Kings signature on it.

"All the violence against one another has to end. Whoever rapes, kills or harms another citizen will be held in the dungeon and executed for their crimes." The murmuring grew louder

"All citizens guilty of looting from homes and stores will be indicted for their crimes, and if enough evidence is present to convict you, then you will be tried for your crimes and punished as the royal family sees fit."

"The royal family will be more present over this town, and all the lax behavior will end." After a tense silence, Alina turned her back to the crowd and made her way to the steps. Someone called out,

"What makes you think the royal family has any influence on us?!"

"Yeah!"

"Excuse me?" Alina questioned while turning her head to the crowd
"You people disappear for years, and then all of a sudden pop back in control after Ms. runaway queen shows up." Umm ouch.