xi

When Rey was sixteen, Raze was in a huge, not very unfortunate explosion in an X-Wing field. One of the tanks of fuel, heated beyond its tolerance, after nearly twenty-eight years, exploded in a fireball that Jase and Rey could see from their point on top of the Star Destroyer.

They didn't know what had happened, and shrugged it off. The occasional explosion rocked the outpost from time to time, killing none and injuring the rare unfortunate wanderer, and this one seemed no different. So they descended into the depths of the Star Destroyer.

Months before, Rey had affixed a small light to the side of her mask, so that she could see when they explored the inner parts of the ship. Jase had done the same.

They walked around, their lights illuminated a small circle in front of them.

When they had finished, Rey climbed, hand over hand, up the rope, her agile body swinging back and forth. At the top, she waved down to Jase. Once he saw her hand, he tied her bag to the end of the rope. A quick tug indicated that it was secure, and Rey started to pull it up, throwing the rope behind her with each tug. She untied the bag and threw the end back down. She pulled up Jase's next, and threw down the rope one last time.

Jase climbed up last, and Rey took the rope. She coiled it, with the a flick of the wrist every other turn so that when the time came for them to return to the Star Destroyer, all that they needed to do was drop it down the hole and it would uncoil without tangling.

Then they walked down the side, careful not to slip, and threw everything into the net of the speeder.

Back at the outpost was when they found out about Raze. The outpost was in a buzz, not because he would be missed, except perhaps by Unkar Plutt, who was losing one of his best scavengers, but because now his tent was open to be looted.

Instead of going into the ruckus, Rey left Jase to turn in the parts and went to see Freghad.

The ancient cloth dealer was bustling around, folding fabric. "Look at all of this!" she cried when Rey cleared her throat.

"Freghad, did you loot the tent?"

She scoffed. "Of course not. That sad excuse wouldn't be caught dead with anything nice. My sister sent another load of cloth. She owns an outpost on Takodana, did I tell you that?"

"Yes, Freghad, you have."

The wizened creature picked up a large piece of purple silk and held it up to Rey's face. "See, my dear girl, this color sets off your eyes."

"I don't need cloth that sets off my eyes, Freghad. I just need practical things," Rey said. "I'm a nobody in the middle of nowhere, I don't need it."

"Nonsense, my dear girl. Take it." Before Rey could protest, the piece was thrust into her arms.

She tried to give it back, but Freghad stopped her. "Every girl needs something to make her feel pretty. Keep it."

Rey wished she had some portions with her, to pay the cloth dealer. It was as though Freghad read her mind though. "Take it, my dear, for free."

"Freghad, I can't do that!"

The tiny creature scoffed. "Of course you can. Now, go. Leave! Your brother probably needs you!"

Rey allowed herself to be shoved out the door. Nearly every time a large shipment came in, which happened approximately yearly, Freghad seemed to have some new beautiful cloth for her, usually silk. And she'd always have to give in and take them. There was no arguing with her.

She put her helmet back on against the growing wind.  Sandstorms were not rare, since almost the entire planet had loose sand or sandstone.  But the wind felt too strong.

In the tent, Rey pulled the cloth covering her mouth down and took a few gasps of fresh air.  Though the cloth was good protection against sand, the air grew stagnant quickly.

Jase was bent over the stove, making some portions.  Unkar Plutt had started giving them less and less, ever since he'd bought the Millennium Falcon.  Rey had been hanging around the old ship, and had protested when he decided to install a compressor.  She insisted that it put too much stress on the hyperdrive.  But he hadn't listened to her, and installed it anyway.

Rey dropped her mask onto her bed.  "The wind's picking up.  I'm going to patch some of these holes."

"The sand'll still get in," Jase said, stirring.

"I know," Rey replied, picking up a piece of fabric and thread.

She found the weakest parts in their tent and sewed up the pieces so that they reinforced the cloth.

She worked her way away, stitching up the worst of them.

Finally, she took out a long piece of thread and sewed up the door.

Normally, they wouldn't do all of this work, but Rey felt that this sandstorm was different.

When she had done as much as she could, Rey sat down where Jase had placed her food.  He had only prepared one portion for her, and she shoveled it down hungrily.

Then she and Jase prepared for the storm.

The wind picked up faster as night fell. Rey soaked some cloths in water to cover their faces when the sand started to work its way into the cracks.

She and Jase pressed the cloths to their faces.

Lightning cracked and thunder rolled overhead. Rey's eyes widened at Jase. This was a storm like none other.

The wind blew sand through, drifting against their beds as they huddled in the center of the room. It blew Rey's cloth off of her face.

Before she could protest, Jase pressed his own cloth to her mouth. He wrapped his arms around her protectively, as if he could protect her from the howling winds and stinging sands.

His breath ruffled the hairs on top of his head.

Rey closed her eyes, hoping that somehow, they would get out alive.