20

I wasn't a crier. I didn't cry over things – especially things that were as predictable as the sun coming up in the east.

Instead, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I took it in. I accepted it.

And then, I released it.

Farewell, Alexander.

"Sophie, please..." His hoarse voice said.

"Don't," I said and gritted my teeth. "Don't give me the speech. You're smart enough to know I don't fall for the grande apologetic speech of how it was a mistake and how she meant nothing and how it will never happen again. I don't even want your sorry's. You're too goddamn clever to tell me you're sorry you screwed over your best friend for a worthless one-night-stand. Sorry is not going to fix anything. It's only going to give you the false feeling of having said the right thing, but sorry is the worst thing you can tell me right now, Alex, so just don't."

I opened my eyes and saw him running his hands through his messed up hair. He exhaled heavily. "Okay... what do you want me to say then?"

"I don't care anymore, Alex," I said, shaking my head. "I'm done caring what you do now. I don't care if you flirt with random girls, I don't care if you kiss girls at parties and I don't care if you sleep with them. I'm just done."

"Sophie..."

"No, you know what?" I said, anger now boiling up in my entire body. "I want to applaud you, actually. You really played me well, Alex, I gotta say. This is your masterpiece. I've seen you play girls, women, even cougars. I was the only one who didn't fall for it, but in the end, I did anyway. And I fell hard," I said, my voice cracking. "Hell, you even made me love you. So, well done, Alexander Stone. You got me, too."

"Sophie, don't do that," He whispered, cupping his face. "Don't make me that guy."

"But you are that guy!" I now screamed. "You screwed over your only true friend, the only one who stayed with you during your drug addiction! I helped you when your own mother didn't even have a clue because you didn't want her to see what kinda scum you really were! How many times did I scrape you up off the sidewalk and drag you home to your bed to sleep off the drugs? How many times did I stay awake during the nights with you when your abstinences kicked in and you couldn't stop shaking and throwing up? You think Miles and Jagger would do that for you? No. I'm the only one who has ever stuck by you through all your crap and now I'm done. I'm done being your pimp, your lifeline, your safety-friend – I'm done being your friend, I'm done being your girlfriend," I said, breathing heavily. "I'm done being your anything."

Alex dipped his head in between his legs and locked his hands behind his head. It looked like he was having a panic attack, but I just couldn't deal with it. He wasn't my problem or concern anymore. I was finally done.

"Sophie... I..."

"No, you already said enough, Alex," I interrupted. "You told me you fucked up. At least you owned up to it, I'm proud of you."

"Sophie, stop."

"It takes a lot of character to own up to it, but then again, you never were short on character, were you?"

"Sophie." He snapped, jerking his head towards me. His bloodshot eyes met mine. "Can you just let me talk? Let me tell you what happened last night—"