Epilogue

Surrounded by grim white walls and black glass, I could make out the police chatter steps away from the interrogation room.

“You know what the press is calling her? The Violent Vixen! This is what’s wrong with the world today. Glamorizing murderers as if...”

“--the thing is, she didn’t have to kill Alameda. We didn’t have enough evidence to tie her to the earlier murders anyways...”

“Luckily for us she got sloppy after that lawyer...”

The black steel door opened and revealed a petite lady with jet black hair. Sparing me the niceties, she positioned herself in front of me, hands behind her head. “I’m Justine Lee, Detective Alameda’s partner. Well, he was my partner up until you killed him” she said with such distaste she almost spat the words out. 

“The District Attorney’s office is working on getting you transferred first thing in the morning. They’re sending you to Forgely. From here on out, you’ll see nothing but these same white walls every morning until your arraignment.”

Forgely has been a secure psychiatric facility for decades. Known to have previously housed the criminally insane, it currently operates as a maximum security unit preferred by the courts for psychiatric assessments before sentencing.

“Forgely? We both know I’m mentally fit to stand trial” I said calmly.

“Not my call,” Detective Lee shrugged, clearly not giving a damn about what happens to me outside of these four walls. She got up to leave, but turned back to stare at me for what seemed like an eternity. “But I wouldn’t consider you completely sane either.”

“If I didn’t understand the possible consequences of my actions or had simply wanted to stay anonymous, I wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t have killed a colleague nor a police detective; I would’ve just killed strangers” I told her. “Surely this makes me logically sane?”

Her face showed a mixture of disgust and pity, her eyes searching mine for the faintest trace of remorse.

“You’re not going to find any of that here,” I said as I gave her a lopsided smile. "When all you see is crimson, the rest of the world just fades away."

------------

This marks the end of Crimson. Thank you for reading!