Tell me

I woke early judging by the sun hanging low in the sky. I felt better, but still quite tired and thirsty. On the up side, my body felt back to normal again, my skin wasn't searing with pain and burning hotter than the sun. I guessed that was thanks to Edward and his coolness staying with me all night.

I turned in the bed suddenly, realising he wasn't beside me. I felt my heart drop and the pain cross my features. Why had he left?

I glanced at the bedside table and saw a glass of water tempting me. I sat up and drunk it readily, letting it moisten my dry throat.

Once I was finished I stood up and looked down at my feet. My bandage had come off during the middle of the night... Had that been why Edward left?

I lifted my foot and looked at the cut. It was healed over, so hopefully he'd be able to handle it.

I started to walk towards the door, carrying the empty glass as an excuse to go to the kitchen... And hopefully find Edward.

I walked downstairs slowly and then took the long way to the kitchen, nearly walking through the whole house.

I came to the living room and saw Edward on the couch, his clothes changed and a book his hands. He looked up slightly and caught my gaze. I smiled shyly and he nodded before looking back down at his book.

I stood there for a long moment before continuing on to the kitchen. I desperately hoped that today wasn't going to be like yesterday...

He wouldn't ignore me again, right?

Something had happened between us last night... It hadn't been just me that suddenly felt better when his arms were around me. He seemed so relaxed and maybe even happy as he held me...

He wouldn't change that now, right?

I walked to the kitchen and put the glass under the tap to get more water. As I ran the water I took a few deep breaths to calm my aching chest. I didn't know why I was getting so worked up about it... It wasn't like his actions towards me mattered all that much.

After I was finished filling up the glass I walked back around to the living room and sat down on the edge of the couch opposite from Edward's.

I looked at him for a long moment and he continued to read, never glancing my way. My heart started to stutter nervously and I tried to stop it, knowing all too well that he could hear it, but I couldn't seem to calm down.

He looked up suddenly, "How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice calm and composed.

"Better." I nodded, my heart slowed a bit, "I think you helped..." I smiled, "Thank you."

He nodded, flashing me a crooked smile and looking down, "It's fine." He glanced at my foot suddenly, "How is your foot?"

"Oh." I looked down at it, "Better. It didn't affect you too much did it?"

He shook his head, "The bandage you'd used made the wound heal quicker, by the time I'd gotten to you it had healed over... But it fell off last night while you were sleeping and even though it was dry blood..." he looked down, "Being away from human blood for so long, kinda got to me a bit..." He looked up, "That's why I wasn't there this morning."

I smiled gently and nodded. I thought for a long moment, "Edward?"

"Hmm?"

"Last night..." I looked up at him, "I don't know whether I dreamed it." His eyes seemed to darken as I spoke of dreams and I tried to keep speaking, "But when I asked you how you'd heard me... You said you heard me calling?"

He stayed silent for so long I honestly thought I had dreamed it, but he spoke suddenly, "Bella... I'm not just a vampire."

I waited for more but when it didn't come I asked, "What do you mean?"

"Some vampires have powers. I am one of those vampires."

"Powers?" My eyes narrowed.

He nodded, "I can read minds."

He said it so quickly I felt my heart stop beating as the reality of it hit me. Has he been reading my thoughts this whole time? Did he know how I felt about him?

Wait, how did I feel about him?

"But I can't read yours." He said, his voice full of frustration.

The relief that flowed through my body was so noticeable I was sure Edward saw my shoulders slump and me exhale roughly. But he didn't comment, he waited for me.

"Why not?" I asked after a long moment.

He shrugged, "I have no clue. But there are holes."

"Holes?"

He shook his head, his burrows furrowing as he looked at the carpet, "I can't hear your thoughts right now... But it seems like... When you're in trouble." He leaned forward towards me, as if in a trance, "The shield, protecting you from me... Comes down. That's how I found you in the first place. I was on the other side of the island... But I heard you screaming for help, when I got there I realised it was your thoughts. When I saved you, they were cut off from me again." He swallowed, "I thought you were dead." He looked down, breaking our connected gazes as my breathing hitched, "I tried to figure out why I couldn't hear your thoughts... And then yesterday I heard them again... You were calling for me, so desperate and weak... I felt so bad..." he looked up at me, "I'm so sorry Bella."

I shook my head, "Don't be." I dismissed it and he looked down, "So it only works when I'm in danger?"

He looked back up again, his face clearer, "I can only hear your thoughts when you're in danger. The defence mechanism that you have, blocking them from me, must come down when you need help."

I looked away and nodded, "I wonder why I have it in the first place..."

"I wish I knew." He muttered, obviously hating the fact that he couldn't hear my thoughts.

"Is that why you came here?" I asked suddenly, blurting it out before I had the chance to think.

He looked at me curiously, "What? The voices?"

I nodded, "Hearing them all the time. Did you just get sick of it?"

He looked away, thinking, "One of the reasons..."

"One?"

He looked back at me, pain deep in eyes, "The voices can be blocked, ignored... The guilt can't."

"Guilt?" I breathed incredulously.

"I'm a monster Bella. I'm a vampire."

I laughed once, a throaty sound, "A vampire doesn't make you a monster Edward. You don't feed on humans... You feed on animals."

He nodded, "Yes, but what if I didn't?"

"Then you would be a monster. But you're not." I looked down, "Is that why you cut yourself off? Because you hate who you are?"

"What I am." He said blankly.

Suddenly he stood up, closing his book and turning towards the door. He turned back to look at me, "You should make yourself some breakfast..." he nodded, "I'm going for a walk."

I nodded after him, still in a daze, "Ok..." I whispered, knowing he would hear.

Hope you liked it please vote and comment xx