4

"So I found this strange egg in the forest..." Ford quickly flipped through the pages of his second journal for a blank page, "It's too big to be a bird's egg...and it was buried beneath about four feet of soil..."

Bill was sitting in the middle of the floor in the living room right in front of the fireplace with his legs crossed and in a meditative state, "Hm..."

Ford looked up curiously, "Oh...I'm sorry...I'm not disturbing you am I?"

Bill slowly shook his head and he spoke slowly, "Just concentrating...continue."

Ford was a little hesitant, "Um...okay," he brought his book in the living room so that he wouldn't have to shout, "So this egg...it's completely pristine. Not a speckle to be found...I was wondering if you knew anything about what it might contain?"

Bill's shoulders bounced a bit as he huffed, "You want me to tell you about an egg you found in the ground? Do you have it with you?"

"Yes...uh, do you want to look at it now or...?"

"Give me a few minutes," Bill clenched his fist in an effort to stay focused, "Go get it. Bring it in here and have a seat in front of me."

Ford nodded and headed back into the kitchen where he placed his backpack. Setting his journal on the table, he reached for his backpack and pulled the egg out. He ran his hand over the smooth, even surface of it before he walked back into the living room.

Taking a seat in front of Bill, the brunette mimicked Bill's position and set the egg down between them. Then he waited for Bill to finish...whatever he was doing. Ford tilted his head toward the blonde to get a better look at his focused face. Bill's eyes were still closed and he seemed to murmuring something under his breath. It was almost as if he were talking to someone.

Ford recoiled in fear when Bill's eyes suddenly opened. They were glowing yellow and his pupils had morphed into thin slits... "Uh, Bill?!"

Bill blinked, his eyes returning to normal and he shook his head, "Oh...I'm sorry..." His voice sounded...different. He covered his eyes with his hand and let out an exhaustive groan, "Ah...I'll be feeling that for the next few days..."

Ford hesitantly reached out and put a hand on his friend's shoulder, "Do you...do you need anything?"

"Water, please..." Bill's eyes fluttered and he avoided Ford's gaze.

Ford stood so quickly he nearly fell over. Once he righted himself he went straight to the kitchen to grab some water. Once he filled a glass he walked back to the living room and handed it to Bill, "Are you okay...?"

Bill uttered a quiet 'thanks' as he took the glass and downed the whole thing at once, "In a way," he cleared his throat, "The closer we get to restoring my power, the more I can communicate with the beings in my own dimension...when I'm attempting to communicate in this form, it takes a lot of my power and energy. I can't even hold a conversation for thirty seconds without feeling wiped out..."

Ford reached out and patted Bill's knee, "Do you need to lay down?"

Bill smiled, "No, you don't have to coddle, I'll be fine. The water helped."

Ford grinned softly, "Okay. Just let me know if it's too much or if you need to rest..."

Bill nodded and stared down at the egg between them, "So is this it?" He picked it up carefully, "Well, it's definitely not the egg of anything humans are accustomed to seeing..."

Ford's eyes widened, "So do you know what kind of egg it is? Why was it buried so deep within the earth?"

Bill held the egg up to the light of the fire, analyzing the small creature through the shell, "Hm..." his eyes widened as the fluid swirled within the egg, "Oh my...this is...if I'm not mistaken, this creature is a shapeshifter."