Chapter1

Percy

Percy looked across the table at the boy next to him, and gave a nervous grin. The Latino grinned back, his was completely at ease. Good start, he supposed, but he was pretty sure one of them had to start talking, otherwise they'd never get anywhere. "Um, so what's your name?"

"Leo, what's yours?" His hands slipped into his pockets casually. It sort of aggravated Percy how uneasy Percy was compared to the other.

"Uh, Percy. Percy Jackson."

The boy laughed softly, a light smile playing on his lips. "Like from Thomas the Train?"

Red rushed to his cheeks until it felt like they were on fire. Did he have to make a joke like that? Especially with how complicate things felt at that second. He should be awkward, then Percy wouldn't feel so intimidated. Sure, the guy was about five inches shorter than him, but his aura screamed either boredom, superiority, or causality. He wasn't sure if it was one or all three. And his brown eyes were dark, really big, and darker than they should have been. Black curls surrounded a kind smile, that made Percy wonder what had happened to him that was so bad that he couldn't talk about it, and still give a smile like that. The worst thing was, Leo didn't even say it unkindly, he said it with a playful laugh that was warm and nice.

Mom came in, smiling, before Percy had to answer, or maybe he just waited too long. "How are things going in here?" She gave a specific to Percy.

"We're just talking, mom." He told her passively.

Leo looked her way, and for a second, there was a look of longing in his eyes. In the ten awkward seconds that Leo and he were sitting there there hadn't been any emotion his face that would be like this. But then the moment was gone and Leo plastered on a grin. "Hey, Sally. I had no idea your last name was Jackson.

Climbing out the back door, didn't leave a mark. No one knows it's you Miss Jackson."

His mother laughed at Leo's soft singing. "I love that song." she turned to open the fridge. "Would one of you like something?"

"No, I'm okay, Miss Jackson." The Latino boy said politely. He seemed to be all about first impressions.

"Percy?" But Percy was long gone, he was staring at Leo with bewilderment. He knew it was just a look, but it looked so painful. He wasn't sure, why, but it kind of scared him that this by could change so quickly. From casually happy to wistful, a second so short that he would have missed it if he wasn't careful.

"Nah," he said offhandedly, trying not to gaze at Leo. "Thanks, mom. What's for dinner?"

She rolled her eyes fondly. "I was thinking of making some lasagna, would either of you like to help me?"

Leo's eyes lit up, and he shot up from his seat. "Absolutely, Miss Jackson." It was as if he wished wholeheartedly that he should help cook, right then.

Then Percy watched, Leo working fervently with his mother, in order to make food. He gave her tips, and made polite jokes. It felt crazy, because even though he loved his mother, and they were the best combination of mother and son. There hadn't been that much life in that apartment in years. The longest time had passed, and only forced smiles were allowed. Mom was always trying to lighten things up, and Percy always trying to hide from fake smiles. He loved her smile, but it wasn't hers that he saw most of the time. He saw plastic, ugly ones, like the ones he saw in school, when the teachers were oh, so sorry, but he couldn't go there anymore. He loved the way Leo could make a joke with Percy and they'd both start cracking up, not because the joke was funny, but because Percy was really happy. Happy that he felt so lively.

Leo was even a joy to have at the table when they were done making it. Percy admitted that it was probably the best lasagna that he ever had. It was crazy because somehow, Leo convinced mom and him to make home made lasagna, which he'd never had. Mostly Leo cooked, actually, which was okay, because he was fantastic at it.

Everything was great, and Percy was just putting away the dishes, when Smelly Gabe came in, scratching a prominent beer belly, and looking at Leo as if he were a slug. His face was red, and his feet unsteady, drunk as a skunk. Oh, please, Percy thought, not today.

But it was today, just like every day. Ever single one, especially the ones that went right.

"Whose this Mexican Brat?"Gabe slurred.

Percy nearly covered his face in embarrassment. He hated this, how Gabe had to ruin every good thing, and this one, he couldn't get away from. It was required from his psychiatrist. He caught Leo's eyes, which stared right at Percy with complete and utter bewilderment, they also looked kind of dazed. Percy watched the floor with a feeling mixed with regret and shame.

"Whose this White dicklicker, and what wrong with his face?" Leo's voice rang out, strong and proud. Percy looked up. "No wait, more like an orang-ish yellow, or is that just your teeth?"

Percy nearly laughed, he'd wanted to mention Gabe's teeth or the longest time. Who knew Leo, with a so far sweet personality, could ever throw words around like that.

Gabe took a long swig of his beer. "Stupid kid!" He smashed the bottle into the wall, brown crystals falling onto the ground. Percy flinched, any positive feeling in the same state as the bottle. "Why is he even here?! This is my house, I pay the bills!"

Percy took Leo's wrist, trying to tug him back into the seat. "This is Leo, and he was staying here to help me with my homework." It was a lie, but Percy couldn't care less.

"He's getting out!" Gabe snapped, making Percy flinch once more. Leo looked like he wanted to protest, but Percy shot him a glare. Leo did the same to Smelly Gabe. And promptly led Leo outside of the house.

"Is that your dad?"Leo asked. He didn't sound pitying, or angry. It wasn't like when other people found out.

"Step dad. That was Smelly Gabe." It was still light outside, and Leo's curls bounced in the near-purple sunset, looking like burning cinders.

"That's crazy." Leo muttered. He didn't tell Percy to get help, he didn't make up excuses for the stepfather. He didn't look at him with sad eyes that hoped dearly for Percy's wellbeing. He said something that a person would say, and only a person. And Percy didn't get to see many of those anymore.

He unlocked his mom's car. He was a now seventeen, and his mother allowed him to drive within city limits. The car was a simple silver minivan, slightly splattered with mud. He didn't care that it was dirty, or crappy. It was a way out of there for the moment. "I'll take you home unless you wanna hang for a while."

Leo shook his head. "Can we hang like, tomorrow. No offense or anything, but I'm literally only here because our psychiatrist told me to. Thanks, though." Leo rummaged in his pocket for a second before pulling out a small pack of cigarettes.

Percy's eyes widened. He'd seen people smoke before, teenagers, even. But never this close to him, especially not in his mom's car. "What the hell?" He said before he could stop himself.

"What?" Leo said, lighting one. "Please don't tell me you're one of those cinnamon rolls that can't see someone young smoke."

Leo leaned back in his seat. Then he shook his head, as if changing his mind. "Sorry, sorry. I don't mean to be pissy with you. I'm just really angry." He admitted. But took a long drag of the toxins.

"It's fine." Percy told him, but it wasn't. "Just try not to do it much."

Leo was quiet for a long time, and Percy tried not to care. This boy had been so chipper, and so lively in the house, yet now he was subdued.

"Okay."

Leo turned, as if just to squash Percy's worries. The Latino gave a light smile. His head was cocked, and curls, still caught in the streetlight's rays. A row of white teeth that tried to say everything was okay.

Then he turned back, looking out the window, so that the colors could bounce off his skin. The orange street lamps glittered iridescently in his brown eyes.

Percy thought he was beautiful, but that sounded crazy. How could something be so god damn beautiful right then?

"Okay." Percy whispered back.