Chapter One

Elisabeth's POV

"Come on please, we both need some fresh air," I grabbed Kelsey's hand and began pulling her out the front door. I usually wouldn't bother getting out of the house. I have no problem sleeping and eating my teenage years away. But these two months had to be different. Kelsey and I have been best friends since the fifth grade. We couldn't so much as tolerate each other when we first met though. I thought she was a narcissist while she thought I was too quiet for my own good. But all of that ended when summer school came around.

You see, Kelsey flunked all of her classes, including the easy ones like gym and art. Nevertheless, it wasn't her fault. Her parents fought all the time. It was always something with them. Kelsey's dad had a problem staying faithful. This left Kelsey's mom struggling to come to terms with her dead marriage. She blamed herself for the most part, maybe if she was skinner or looked younger, he would only want her. Of course, it wasn't true but still, that's all she thought about. As the number of affairs kept rising, she began to take comfort in liquor. Rum, Vodka, Tequilla, anything that helped the pain stop. Kelsey hated watching her mom slip away.

Me on the other hand, I had no excuse as to why I failed my classes. Or at least that's how my mom saw it.  A few years ago, my mom enrolled me in a cheap after school program. It was all my parents could afford. At first, everything was fine, nobody bothered to talk to me, but I didn't mind it. I kept myself busy with books and daydreaming.

Every once in a while we would have field trips, sometimes I would go, and sometimes I wouldn't. The staff let my mom know that there was a trip to a music studio coming up. She thought I should go since I was in my school choir. I didn't want to.I thought it sounded boring, but she always got her way.

My mom regularly made me do things that I didn't want to do. She chose my outfits and my one hairstyle, a brushed back knotted ponytail with clothes a girl my age wouldn't want to be caught dead in. My parents were strict Christians, I wasn't allowed to wear shorts past my knees or tank tops. I always envied the pretty girls with stylish outfits because of this. It wasn't fair that they got to dress like models while people confused me for a boy. But whatever my mom wanted, she got.

The trip was uninteresting, of course, but it changed my life forever. Towards the end, we were all instructed to line up with a partner outside of the building and wait for our turn to play with the recording materials. My partner and I were last in line. It was taking an eternity for our turn to come for some unknown reason, so our chaperone went inside to go see what was taking so long . When she was out of sight, my partner forced himself onto me.

I didn't cry, I didn't say no, my mind was blank. Just blank. I can't tell you where the rest of the kids were, I can't tell you much about what happened after either. I think I was in shock. Everything felt dreamlike, like nothing was real.

I didn't tell my mom for years. I truly believed it was her fault because it wasn't the first time I was violated under that so-called after-school's care.
The first time was on a bus filled with other kids. It was summertime, and of course, my mom enrolled me in their summer program.

I was sat next to someone I knew. I didn't like her. I more of just tolerated her. There wasn't much room, so we were forced to sit three to a seat. An older girl with unkempt hair was seated with us. She sat with her back facing us and her legs out in the aisle. The girl I knew was sat next to the window, we'll call her Kat because I can't remember her name quite frankly. Kat and I began talking, but her eyes wouldn't leave my breast. Naturally, this made me uncomfortable, so I tried my best to engage in an exciting conversation with her. She began making jokes about nipples while touching hers. I laughed it off, but she worked her hand in my pink GAP logo hoodie grabbing my breast. I would pull her hand out only for her to put it back in. The girl on the outer seat glanced a few times and made jokes about us being lesbians. No one cared. No one saw that I wanted to cry.