Take Care

Chapter 2

The kyuubi smiled softly as she sipped her tea, a look of peace coming to her appearance. The tips of her many tails curled gently as she sighed with bliss, her ears drooping ever so slightly. In her white robes, that pooled around her, she looked much like a celestial being. A goddess, sitting on the floor, with a scroll, rolled out before her.

She didn't realize how untouchable she looked in those moments she sat, staring at the writing as she drank her tea. Of course, to her, this was just a morning ritual, something she did not see as beautiful, but a needed relaxation before she went out.

It was also a routine she did in the evenings, though sometimes she missed it because of the day's exhaustion, he had learned. He'd watched her tumble inside a few times, crashing on the rug of the kitchen nook. Not even having the strength to make it to her bed. Those were the nights she slept more than a couple hours.

The tailed beast was supposed to be more observant than this, not so relaxed. Had she ever been so relaxed as this? Obviously, his intel was wrong, as he had seen she did this every morning if not evening too, not taking any notice of the man that watched her every step.

The man that watched as she cooked and cleaned, learning her every routine. How she made her bed, how she brushed her hair, how she smoothed her fur with what looked like a dog brush. How she organized her weapons after every mission, making sure they were spotless before she turned away. He knew her diet, that though she tried to maintain a balance of fruits and vegetables, she often settled for cup ramen.

He knew more about her than her teammate ever had, ever would. He knew every night she would sit for hours, with her tails wrapped around her, waiting for Kami knew what. He had yet to find the reason for why she sat when she could be sleeping, as far as he knew she was perfectly safe. Not that he thought anyone was stupid enough to threaten the domain of kyuubi.

She obviously thought different, always laying her weapons within reach. As if she needed them, he'd seen her nails in action, how they elongated, and sharp as the most well taken care of katana. Still, the kyuubi lay awake long after the village had gone to sleep. What must haunt her to the point of near insomnia? He hadn't the slightest idea.

"This kyuubi hopes you've not returned for a goodbye kiss. She'll have no part in it."

He was yanked from his thoughts rather suddenly, it appeared he'd finally been caught. Though it seemed she had mistaken him for someone else. His brow furrowed as he slipped in through the same window he'd seen his brother exit just minutes before.

"Little Uchiha will have no hopes of leaving this village if he does not hurry."

She did not peer at him, keeping her image of serenity. With her eyes closed and her teacup raised, it was easy for him to examine her without fear of being caught. She looked every bit the immortal being he'd come to expect.

"You confuse me with someone else, great kyuubi. I do not need the cover of darkness to mask my escape, nor have I come for a kiss."

Her head whipped around to meet his gaze so fast, he was surprised she didn't wince. Regrettably, with his words, her tranquil appearance shattered, replaced by a cautious glare. To be honest, he was surprised she placed her cup down, with a steady hand, instead of dropping it. Even in her shock, she did not allow for her muscles to falter.

Recognition burst to the surface as she rose to her feet, her features relaxed but guarded. It was no question she knew who he was, even without introduction. She'd spent enough time with his little brother, there was no way she wouldn't know who he was. That, and they had met, at least a few times before he massacred the clan, and more recently at the hotel, the sannin and jinjuriki had been staying in.