Epilogue

–Two weeks later–

"So, where are you guys going?"

"I think he said something about ice cream, which I am always excited for," Addy explained. She was straightening her hair as Brayden watched her, sitting on the bed. He looked at the outfit she had hanging on her closet door: a new pair of black skinny jeans – she needed some after hers were stained in blood – and a maroon colored crop top with an Aztec print on it.

Liam had finally decided on a day to take Addy out on a date. He wanted it to be nice, a bright sunny day so that they could actually enjoy cool foods. The sun was out and high in the sky, and the few clouds kept it cool. He was going to pick her up at three, and it was half past two.

"Are you sure you want to still wear that top?" Brayden hated when she wore crop tops, but every brother was like that when a little sister showed too much skin. Addy laughed as she brought the hot hair tool through her hair again.

"Yup."

Addy tossed a bottle of hairspray to her brother. She always got him to do it because her short arms didn't reach around to the back of her head. Her hair was straight as a picket, and she wanted to keep it that way. Brayden stayed in her room as she did a little bit of makeup around her eyes.

"Addy?"

"Yup?" She looked at him in the mirror. He sat up on the bed and crossed his legs. Something was going on with him. She dropped the makeup brush in her hand to give him her attention. Addy turned around and looked over at her brother. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I just-it's your first date," Brayden mumbled. Addy set down her eye shadow and sat next to her older brother. She leaned against his shoulder. He was worried about her, as per usual. Going on this date meant that she was growing up and he wasn't quite ready to see that happen. 

"Bray," Addy started, "you know that I love you, and that you'll always be my favourite. You're my brother, Brayden."

Addy nearly started crying when she heard her brother sniffle. He watched her grow up. He was there when their father left, and he was there when their mom was working. Brayden was the one to make her chicken noodle soup with goldfish on the side when she was sick. He was the one who she went to when she was having a bad day. He was the one who raised Addy, and she could never repay him for that.

"I love you too, Adster." He slung his arm around her for a hug. Brayden rubbed his nose. He wasn't supposed to cry over this. His little sister was growing up, but he didn't want her to.

"Don't cry! You're gonna make me cry, and it's going to ruin my makeup!" Addy joked. She rubbed her fingers under her eyes to stop the unshed tears. The clock read 2:51, and Addy needed to finish getting ready.

Addy changed into her clothes for the day, and at 2:57, she was officially ready for her first date, with her phone in her back pocket and cash in her front pocket. She didn't worry about bringing a bag. She hated carrying around a purse.

There was a knock at the door. Brayden beat her to it. He needed to talk to Liam: just a little brother to boyfriend - 'guy friend' - talk. Nothing too serious, Addy hoped. She didn't have super hearing, so she couldn't hear them talk as she walked down the stairs.

Liam stopped talking as he saw her. She was beautiful, as always. Maybe it was because she agreed to go on a date with him, but she looked even more wonderful than she did every day. "Oh, you look, um, beautiful," Liam murmured, pink crawling up his neck and onto his cheeks.

"Thanks." She pecked his cheek once she was at the front door. "Bye, Brayden!"

"Stay safe!"

Liam had walked from his house to hers, so they were going to walk to the little ice cream place a few blocks away. They walked hand in hand and their steps in sync.