✯ | chapter one

❝i don't want tea. i want to find my mother.❞

-clary fray, the mortal instruments

MY HEART RACES AS the sprint through the forest continues. I run at top-speed with the Grounder's sword secured in my hand, several paces in front of Bellamy. One sharp turn into the thicker trees leads me to a small crater in the ground. I use a fallen log to propel myself into it and land hard on my feet, grimacing at the spikes of pain that shoot up to my brain.

My eyes dart around the open areas, scanning carefully for any Scouts in the treetops. Nothing catches my eye as of now. I think we've lost them.

"See anything?" Bellamy questions from beside me, even though he knows that if he can't, neither can I. His face is smeared with grime and blood. I wish I could say I look any better, but I hardly notice the mud on my cheeks anymore.

"Guys!"

We both spin on our heels to face the source of the voice, weapons raised in defense. I sigh in relief when I see Monroe and a blond boy standing by a different log, just yards behind us. The sword relaxes in my grip.

"Get back down," Bellamy orders in a whisper with his spear still raised. I find his command amusing considering he had just spoken to me only moments ago.

I'm grateful to see another face after so long of just Finn and Bellamy. The fear that we are the only ones left has been eating at me ever since that night we disappeared from camp, and the fact that Monroe's alive is both alarming and calming. I wonder how she made it out with the boy.

I duck down beside them and peek above the log, which is mostly covered in a thick accumulation of bright green moss. Blood still rushes in my ears from the thudding of my heart and my veins buzz with energy.

"You were followed?" Monroe questions quietly with alarm in her voice as Bellamy joins my side. He stays much less hidden by the fallen wood as he refuses to let his guard down. He is definitely the antsier out of the two of us, always on his toes.

"Quiet," he hisses in an annoyed tone. Once he notes that the coast is clear, he crouches down and asks what we've both been wondering. "Have you seen Finn?"

"Finn's alive?" the boy inquires, eyes widening. Monroe subtly shakes her head in response to Bellamy's question.

"As long as he hasn't died since we were separated," I reply lowly, still breathing raggedly. I would never have admitted I was worried about Finn Collins a few days ago, but ever since he risked his life to save Bellamy and I, there's been an unspoken sense of respect between us. I dislike him less than I used to. However, I'm not about to jump at the chance to be best friends, either.

"We knew the fire was coming, so we ran," Bellamy further explains with a glance in my direction. "But one of them followed." He pauses, giving Monroe and her friend a once-over with his eyebrows pinched in confusion. They look almost pristine compared to us; their faces are relatively clean except for a few smudges and their hair is only a little bit frizzy. "How'd you guys get out?"

"We, uh, we saw the Ark come down and thought we'd come get help," the boy answers with a nervous swallow. I can't help but wonder if he's intimidated by us at all, and the possibility is amusing. "Piece of it came down this way. Monroe thinks it's Mecha, but personally I thi--"

He cuts himself off at the sound of chatter in the distance. My head instantly whips around in the direction it came from as my nerves spike on high alert. I can't see anything from the low ground, but I know that whoever it is can't be far.

"Come on," I whisper, beckoning the two new companions with us. "Stay low and keep quiet."

Since Bellamy is closest, he is the first to get out of the ditch. A two-second pause as he climbs up is just enough for him to survey our surroundings. Then, as quickly as I can take in a breath, he pulls himself up and starts to run again.