✯ | chapter eleven

❝because right now, you are the only part of my day that i look forward to.❞

-connor walsh, how to get away with murder

A HAZY FOG SURROUNDS Clarke and I as we walk back to the Ark. The sounds of two horses' feet on the soil are the only sounds, the Grounders riding the animals holding torches to light the way. Clarke has not spoken since Lexa proposed Finn's fate. I was the one who got us out of her tent as soon as possible, guiding a stunned Clarke out as gently as I could.

"Hold your fire!" Bellamy calls from the gate as we approach. "They're back."

"Open the gate!" someone orders sharply.

Major Byrne's voice echoes through the darkness. "Power up the gate. Secure all access points. Stay ready!"

One of the guards pulls the lever to unlock the gate and heaves it open. The horse beside me lashes its tail out so hard it stings when it hits my leg. My fascination with the animal has diminished to a thought in the back of my mind compared to the news we've just been given.

Ironically, Finn runs up to us once we've entered. His eyes flicker between Clarke and I, sensing our worry. "You okay?"

I merely call back, "Shut the gate."

Bellamy approaches next, placing a gentle hand on my elbow. I can barely see his face in the lack of lighting, but I can tell he's concerned just by the tone of his voice. "Hey, what happened?"

I find myself the speechless one this time. I can't say the words out loud. Instead, I look toward the ground and don't respond.

"You can't be out here," Clarke hisses to Finn before grabbing his arm and leading him away. After a second, Bellamy and I follow them.

Abby appears out of the fog, pulling her daughter and I into separate hugs. I don't feel the sense of comfort like I usually do. The crowd gathering around us doesn't make it any better at all, only heightening my jumbled nerves.

"What'd she say?" Abby questions. "Is there a chance for a truce?"

I open my mouth. No words come out. Finn and I never had the best relationship, but I don't want to hand him over to die- especially knowing how much he means to Raven and Clarke. I can't do that to them.

"Yes," Clarke responds in a detached tone.

Finn speaks next, suspicion on his face. "What's wrong?"

"They want you." Clarke looks into his eyes for a lingering moment before returning them to her mother. "If we want a truce, we have to give them Finn."

Scattered whispers erupt from around us. I feel like they're imprisoning me, trapping me in their circle.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Raven demands, having made her way through the crowd. Her face is full of disbelief and sadness that pierces my heart.

"That's their offer," Clarke replies.

"That's not an offer," Raven counters in a voice filling with emotion.

"It's a punishment," Finn finishes for her. "For what happened at the village. Blood for blood."

At the reminder, I look toward the ground again.