✯ | chapter four

❝then this is a complete waste of time. he doesn't know anything.❞

-allison argent, teen wolf

I'M WALKING AS QUICKLY as I can with our small search party, now positioned near the middle after feeling a strong urge not to be last. My heart is beating a little faster now that I know we've made it out of the premises of 'Camp Jaha' and we're completely at the mercy of whatever is waiting for us in the forest.

The open sky is black as ink, the only source of light being the pale glow of a cloud-covered crescent moon and the yellow flickers of the Ark. It's an almost beautiful sight to see it on the Earth even though half of it is destroyed.

"You don't think anyone saw us?" Bellamy asks above a whisper as he stumbles along with Murphy at his side.

"Shh!" Finn shushes him from the front of the group. "Keep it down."

We break into the obscurity of the trees, barely making it more than ten yards in before a blinding flashlight is aimed at our faces. My heart nearly stops at the sight of Miller's dad, who happens to be a guard, staring at us blankly. His dark skin is layered with sweat.

"You're late," Abby says to Finn, making my eyebrows pinch in confusion as I take in her appearance next to Mr. Miller. I glance between Finn and her with squinted eyes.

"Bellamy decided to bring company," Finn replies and jerks his head toward Bellamy, where he's holding Murphy close by the back of his collar. Murphy seems utterly bored while Bellamy is mostly perplexed.

"He's the only person that's been in their camp," Bellamy explains calmly.

Mr. Miller glances at Abby, who gives a tiny nod and holds out a small handgun. Finn steps forward to take it, loading the cartridge with several clicks. Abby pulls another handgun out of the waistband of her jeans.

"Here," Mr. Miller says as he passes us an assault rifle. "Find my son. His name is Nathan Miller."

Bellamy nods somberly and accepts the weapon. The guard hands another rifle to me, and yet another to Sterling. Finn hands Monroe the second handgun.

"Bring them home," Abby instructs firmly with determination set in her eyes. She seems completely confident that we're capable of doing this, which is part of the reason why I'm so glad she has been like a second mother to me all my life. She has no doubt that we can find them.

And neither do I.

Finn glances back at us and starts to move on ahead between Abby and Mr. Miller, the rest following suit. I stop in front of Abby and watch as her eyes search mine.

"I'll find Clarke. I'll bring her home," I tell her honestly, nothing but certainty in my voice. Abby's eyes slightly water as she pats my cheek lovingly.

"Stay safe out there," she advises in a motherly tone. I nod and give her a reassuring smile before starting to jog after the others.

We rarely pause for breaks, only stopping for short periods of time to rest our legs and drink water from the canteen in Finn's backpack. Thanks to Monty teaching me which berries were safe to eat, I'm able to distinguish some of the fruit as non-poisonous so we have at least something to eat. Just thinking about Monty is enough to make my stomach sink.

It's already morning before I know it. We take a longer break to sleep for a few hours, then Finn has us up and walking after a rushed breakfast of water and more berries. I can tell that everyone is wary of the fact that we're following directions from Murphy of all people, especially when he's most likely the least trustworthy person in the camp.