Chapter 3: Letter from Cornelius

Kate's POV

It wasn't a lingering kiss. No, it was a sweet peck. A sweet but FRICKING WEIRD peck. Yeah, 'cause the guy's my best friend. And I had no idea why he had kissed me. I had thought that I culd leave at least one best guy friend unkissed but no. The other one had to kiss me too. 

During the last week of second year, Ron - that wuss - had dared Harry to kiss me. I was all "never!" but the idiot said it was a dare and he did, you know, kiss me. Ew! And now Draco had. Life was so screwed.

When we broke the kiss, it was a few more seconds before we regained composure.

"Um," I spoke. He seemed too mortified to even breathe. "What - What was that for?"

"I - I'm sorry," he stuttered, his cheeks a bright scarlet. "It was, uh, a helpless moment. I mean, we were close and you were there and I just broke up with Pansy - not that it bothers me - and I was kind of lonely and -" I put my hand over his mouth to stop him blabbering.

"Well, it was really weird . . . but let's try to put this behind us?" I asked slowly, my lips still tingling from where he had kissed me.

"Yeah, good idea," he said. Just then, Lucius called out to Draco to go downstairs as they were leaving. We went downstairs and the sitting room had a very repulsive - well to me at least - smell; cigars and brandy, no doubt. Typical Ethan, I mean Dad.

"It was an excellent meeting Ethan," Lucius told Dad. "we should meet up more often."

"Definitely! Splendid idea Lucius!"

I sorted. "Yeah, because you have all the cigars in the world to blow off."

"Manners, young lady! That is your father!" my mother snapped at me.

I raised my hands up in surrender. "Sorry, Dad!"

Dad just shook his head, "'S okay, kiddo." 

"Bye," I told the Malfoys. They bade us goodbye, stepped outside and disapparated.

Diane looked at me. "So hon', wanna go get a mani pedi?"

"Um, i just got one done in Johanesburg and i like the colour so no thanks."

Diane just nodded and left to go get her extensions renewed.

                                                           ***

 "You know you love me, gossip girl," said Kristen Bell, concluding another episode of Gossip Girl. I glanced at the clock on the Lavender with baby blue trim wall. 6:30. Might as well go down for dinner. I got up and brushed my red Juicy Couture sweatpants for any fibres that were stuck onto them. Smoothing my Chloe tank top, I walked downstairs to have a pair of arms being flung around my waist. 

(((PS: If you haven't noticed, Kate's really rich. She has all sorts of branded stuff, even home casual wear.)))

"Hi sis'!" Matt, my eleven year-old brother greeted.

I looked down at him. "Hi Matt, why the brotherly love all of a sudden. I'm supposed to be the worst person in your life, being your big sister and all."

"Look, we may fight but i did miss you," said Matt. "I haven't seen you in a whole month, which is since the beginning of July!" He unlocked his arms from around my waist and plomped himself onto a grey velvet sofa.

I walked over to join him, my bare feet feeling a little cold on the cool balck marble floor. "So how was the U.S?"I asked him while curling up near the hearth.

"Not bad," he replied nonchalantly. "I got to watch a baseball game. It's nothing like quidditch."

"Duh, baseball's a muggle sport and quidditch is a wizard sport," I told him.