The Unexpected Visit

Copyright © 2013 A'Daja Henderson

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

Chapter 1- The Unexpected Visit

           As the sun disappeared on the horizon, a young girl watched as the sky transformed into the beauty of the starry-night. At the sight of it, she smiled radiantly. Dazzling stars winked down at her and stared at them in awe. To get a clearer view of the sky, she decided to open the window.

           Her weak arms struggled to open it, but eventually, the window screeches open as she slides it up. Her chocolate brown tresses blew into her face as a slight breeze entered her room through the cracked window along with the chirps of crickets.

          She sighed in content, as the breeze brushed her cheeks, the cool wind calming her. She turned around from the window and rushed over to her bed and grabbed her Teddy Bear, Goobers, and held him close to her chest, placing a kiss upon its head. She made her way back to the window and turned her attention towards the sky again.

          “Make a wish, Goobers.” She whispered sitting Goobers upon the windowsill. Her eyes locked on the brightest star in the sky, located to the right of the nearly full moon.

            “Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight… I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight,” whispered the eight-year-old girl. Tightly, she held her eyes shut and Goobers to her chest. Then, she made a wish, putting all her faith into that one star, and pleading for it to come true.  

            Yawning, the girl trudged to her bed, dragging Goobers along with her. She pulled the covers back and climbed into bed, leaving a night-light on that dimly lit the room. Sleep soon consumed the little girl, but her peaceful rest rapidly comes to an end.

            “We got one more in here!” Bellowed a man’s gravelly voice, while he was firmly grasping a gun in his hand.

            “Well hurry up and get them down here!” Another male voice answered. The night-light was still on and the girl could make out the image of the man that had a gun pointed at her head.

            He had a mask on his head. Half of it was blood red and the other was dark black. Luminous spheres that were a bright yellow interchanged the place where his eyes should be and an unnerving smile was etched across the mask. The eeriness of the mask caused her to shrink into her covers, hoping that somehow she could magically disappear until that the man and the gun would vanish.

            But, the man was still there and the gun was still pointed directly at her head. “Make a sound and I will hurt you,” the man warned as the little girl opened her mouth to scream! He roughly grabbed the young girl by the arm and dragged her out of bed. She quickly grabbed Goobers and tried to refrain from the hold, but it was no use. “Let go! Please you’re hurting me!” She cried out. He pressed the gun to her head, and she whimpered in response.

            “Shut up!” The masked man barked, she flinched and gripped her Teddy Bear tighter. The man hauled her down the hallway. Her room was the last one on the left. There were only three rooms on the second floor of her house. As she passed the other rooms she looked into the open doors. The master bedroom was void of her parents. The covers that were supposed to be on the bed were thrown carelessly onto the floor.