Mysterious Stranger

Chapter 3-The Mysterious Stranger

            Inhaling deeply. I summoned up the strength to open the door. The bell hadn’t rung for the next class and I needed to get back. I inhaled a deep breath again and examined the eerily quiet hallway, making sure the hooded man was gone. Once I was sure the hall was secure I took my first hesitant step into the vacant hallway.

            I slowed my pace and looked down curiously at the object in my hand. What was in it? I brought the small package to my ear and shook it, hoping that somehow I could figure out what it was, but I knew it was no use.

            My shoulders slumped in defeat as I shuffled down the hall towards locker number 1201. I needed to hide this small package. My fingers twisted the knob, turn to the right, 13 stop, turn left, stop at 26, turn right again, and stop at 39. The locker popped open and slip of paper fluttered out of it and collided with the ground. Bending over, I apprehensively picked up the paper.

            Seeing what was written in it caused my heart to beat furiously against my ribcage. On the back of it the words ‘Turn around’were written in cursive with red ink. Doing as the paper instructed, slowly, I turned around and was surprised at who I saw.

            There he was leaning against the lockers. My already dampened mood worsened as I came face to face with the annoying stranger. I groaned in disgust. A small smile played on the ends of his lips. “Hello,” he greeted, a few stands of his charcoal black hair fell into his coffee brown eyes that were hidden behind his glasses.

            “Are you stalking me or something?” I accused, glaring at him.

            “I wouldn’t call it stalking,” he responded coolly as he pushed off the wall and stuffed his hands in his pockets, never removing his eyes from mine. “I would like to call it… watching,” he took a few steps closer to me. We were only three feet apart now.

            My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but immediately realization slapped me in the face. My eyes widened in panic and frantically, I threw the small package into my open locker then slammed it shut. Fear slowly settled in as I thought of the hooded man.

            I ran my fingers threw my chocolate brown hair, rolled my bottom lip in between my teeth and avoided the mysterious deep brown eyes, afraid that he would see the realization in my eyes.

            “T-that is very fascinating,” I croaked.

            “Are you alright?” he asked, his face scrunching up in concern.

            “I’m fine. Never been better, I feel so great!” I cheered with fake enthusiasm.

            Arching an eyebrow in doubt, “Sure,” he retorted. Then he took a few steps closer and there was almost no space between us. Gently he tilted my chin up with his index finger. Our eyes locked once again.

            “You know you’re a horrible liar, but you’re cute when you’re all flustered,” he whispered tenderly, a sweet, but deceiving smile present on his lips.

            My heartbeat picked up when he said that and at our close proximity, I was trapped between him and the locker. I needed to get away from him. I willed myself to take a step back.

            “Have you ever heard of personal space?” I reproached feigning confidence, but I knew he could see my discomfort.

            “Yes,” he replied, the smile on his face never faltering. I placed my hands on his chest and pushed him away from me, “Obviously you don’t know what it means, then.” The smile on his face was even more profound. He was clearly amused at my uneasiness.