Puzzles, Punishment and Promises

I am Nameless

In this chapter Miriska mentions a promise. Please read chapter 12 again (it's there).

The chapter contains violence and language, but it is vital to the story. So I apologise.
I also apologise for the incredibly long wait!

- _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ -

--CHAPTER--FOURTEEN--

"How... What... Who are you, really? What do you want with me? And what do I call you?"

Macx sat behind the heavy desk; he kept staring at me like I was some huge prize he just won. The lights were on, but not very bright, it was enough so I could see everything, but not enough to make out all of the details.

"I am who I am, Miriska and you can call me Macx. To tell you what I want with you, you need to know something. I am a vampire and-"

I snorted, though it was more just air leaving my nose at a faster rate. "Yeah and I'm an angel."

"Yes, you are actually. Now your mother was half angel and long story short, she was dying and she needed a cure, of which there is two. Find a full angel that can purify her or, but this doesn't make as much sense, drink vampire blood."

Macx's voice was calm and smooth, like he was discussing the weather, not the fact the supernatural creatures are real. "I'm guessing the so called darkness within me somehow eliminates the darkness that grows in an purity deprived angel. Since they couldn't find a full angel, their last resort was the blood and guess what?"

Some of the puzzle pieces fell into place. "It was your blood. I'm the repayment."

"You are smart. Now on to the matter of you escaping. Well, attempted escape."

Macx lifted himself from the leather chair he sat in and walked over to where I stood - still in the firm grip of Mister Dumb and his friend Dumber - he grasped my chin and lifted it so that he could look me in the eye, but I averted my gaze by looking down.

"Look at me."

I refused. He tightened his grip.

"Look at me, Miriska."

Again I refused. His grip tightened even more; it felt like he was slowly cracking my jaw.

"I won't ask again. Look at me."

I complied. "I am truly disappointed, Miriska. You are so smart, yet the thought didn't cross your mind that I would have safety protocols in place, did it? Did you even think of the consequences your actions could carry? So just to make sure, that not even a thought of escaping me crosses your mind again... Alix!"

Alix marched into the the room, much like a loyal soldier, he saluted Macx. "Sir."

Macx's gaze didn't leave mine as he addressed Alix. "Ah, Alix. Please do tell Miriska here, what happens when you cross or disobey me."

He nodded. "Punishment."

"Exactly. That is what I will give you, though I will never harm you physically. So I need to do so another way. As I hope you know, Alix hasn't been himself lately."

"Yeah, I noti- You! You did something! You brainwashed him!" My voice turned accusing.

"Not exactly brainwashing, more like... Well I guess it could be brainwashing, though I never brought a sponge close to his brain, now I control him. He has a strong will and he does fight it, but he doesn't win."

Alix walked over to me; simply stood in front of me, like he was waiting for something. Then his flat palm made contact with the side of my face. The force of the blow was so much, that if I wasn't held up, I would be sprawled across the floor.

A gasp escaped my lips and Macx voice rang out. "Now onto the rest." Alix stood in front of him facing me. Alix was tall but still shorter than Macx. Macx placed his hands on either side of Alix's face. He cocked his head in thought. "It's rather interesting... The ways to kill a shape shifter. Seeing as that whole silver story is a myth, the only other way is to rip out his heart or eliminate the connection of his body to his brain."

Macx twisted.

A loud crack resonated through the room as Macx violently severed Alix's head from his shoulders. My legs gave out beneath me. A shrill scream bounced off the walls, it took me a moment to realise that it was originating from my mouth.

"ALIX!" I found me feet again and ripped my arms from the hold of the guards and ran to him as his body made contact with the floor with a loud thud. His head thumped down next to his body. "Alix! I'm sorry, so sorry. You can't leave me here! You promised!" Hands wrapped around my shoulders and lifted me up into a chest, I tried to break free, but the hold was solid.

"Johnson, clean that up. I'd prefer not to let the blood stain my carpet. Now, Miriska, you know what I can do; I know you have many more friends, oh and your father. Maybe I should pay him a visit, you know? Catch up."

Fury bubbled over when his words registered in my mind. "You leave him out of this. You made your point."

"Good. Now tonight you will join me for dinner and we can talk about the future."

--Dominic--

The door of my office burst open and Logan stormed in. His face was slightly swollen.

"She's not with you is she?"

His voice was sorrowful. "No, Dominic. Micheal, along with Dragons, showed up. I tried to track the scent but they covered their path thoroughly. We have to wait for them to make a slip-up to go in. Macx's kingdom is to large for us to go charging in searching for her."

"You are right, but I want eyes and ears everywhere. A whisper of a new arrival in the kingdom and I want to know about it. Logan, I don't blame you for this. You and I both know that he takes what he want, he spares no thought to the ones that stand in his way and he will eliminate anything and anyone that denies him what he wants."

Logan respectfully bowed and left my office; closed the door behind him. "Fuck!"

I stood and paced behind my desk, without her I couldn't possibly think of completing my goal, she was the whole key in this. A lock can't be opened without a key, unless you use force. Force that I don't have.

I had to get her back, I just had to.

--Miriska--

The clinking of silverware against china filled the silent atmosphere, although I hate to admit it the food tasted good. Baked potatoes, sweet carrots, grilled steak and a salad with crispy lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and black olives.

"Are you enjoying your food, my love?"

I had to suppress the urge to roll my eyes. "Yes, thank you. It's delicious. My compliments to the chef."
We were in a small, but still elegant, dining room. The walls were a deep red and the only light source were the dozens of lit candles spread across the room. The table was a beautifully crafted dark wood. The heavy black drapes were slightly parted to reveal a shining white full moon.

"So what do you think?" A soft smile was on Macx's face, making him look angelic in the low light. No! Miriska what are you thinking? He killed Alix!

"I'm sorry what? My thoughts were elsewhere."

He chuckled. "I asked if you would like to see the grounds tomorrow and a tour of the castle."

"Oh. Um, sure."

Macx stood and dropped his napkin onto the table and held a hand out to me. "Shall we retire?"

I followed his lead, but without taking his hand, which seemed to upset him because he forcefully grabbed my hand and kept it in an unbreakable hold.

He lead me up to a solid black door, his door. He led me into the room and closed the door behind me.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"From now on I want you by my side, always. When I am not with you, you will be guarded. I cannot have another one of your silly attempts at escaping"

"You know the only thing you're doing right know is just driving me further away! What use did killing Alix have? Did you feel powerful afterwards? Did you get a rush out of it? DID YOU?!"

He pushed me against the wall and pressed himself up against me, trapping me. His reply was soaked and marinated in pure venom. "You will not speak to me that way, ever again. Am I clear?"

"Fuck you! You know what I think? I think you were jealous of Alix, you were jealous of the fact that he could make me like him without freaking kidnapping me! Did you ever think of that? You asked me if I thought about consequences of my actions, in that moment, no. Now I ask you did you think about your actions? They way they might make me, oh I don't know, hate you? You can't force love or affection or whatever you want from me, because it won't work." My voice was soft and sad at the end of my rant.

"I'm sorry, Miriska." He sighed. He moved away from the wall and sat on the bed. "I was... I am used to taking what I want. I guess that comes from the way I was raised. I wasn't born into this kingdom, you know? I was born in a small town, both my parents were murdered," a bitter laugh climbed from his mouth. "Why? Because I had value. Those were that bitch's words, the same words the left her mouth just before I killed her. I never wanted this, Miriska! I still don't." His voice held a pleading tone, but what shocked me the most was the silvery tears running down his cheeks like little ropes of silver.

"I am really sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, Miriska. It was... It was a defense mechanism, I suppose. Most people fear those with more power than them. I'm glad you're not most people. Miriska, I don't want to let you go, but I don't want to keep you locked up either."

"Why? Why am I so special, Macx? Why did you choose me?"

He was silent, his eyes lost in thought. I was about to give up on getting an answer, when he started talking. "You were so vibrant, when you were born, your parents didn't, don't, know that I saw your birth. I guess it was coincidence or destiny that I was there, I heard your first cry, it was stubborn and loud, full of life. It awoke things in me that died long ago. I felt alive again for the first time in... well, many years.

"Then you did the strangest thing, you stopped crying and you looked at me, with those beautiful eyes and you... you gave me hope. That's why. You make me feel alive and loved."

He stood, walked to the door and then turned to me. "You can stay here if you like, otherwise your room is just two doors down from mine. Goodnight, Miriska."

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know."

- _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ - _ -
Miriska: No! I hate you! How could you?
Me: I'm sorry it had to happen. *Hides behind wall* Please don't kill me!

See Macx isn't that bad.
I feel so sorry for Macx... :'(

Question: Who should she end up with?
*Macx
*Damiane
*De 'Shawn