The Old Niall Horan

“We’re home!” I sang out to my house. I pouted when I didn’t hear my dogs’ barks.

“I think she’s outside.” Liam laughed and patted my arm. “I’m gonna shower. I’ve still got blood all over myself.” Liam frowned and climbed the stairs slowly. I nodded and set out my homework to do. Before I could start on anything, Niall texted me.

Hey babe. Wanna sneak out tonight? xxNialler

No Niall. I’ve got a big math test tomorrow.

Oh whatever. Since when do you care about math? xxNialler

Okay, he had a point there.

Still, Niall. I don’t want to.

Cmon girl. You know you wanna. It’ll be fun. Just relax and take a break. I’ll even come over and help you with your homework. xxNialler

That’s one good thing about Niall Horan. He was really smart. Too bad he spent all his time getting into trouble and hooking up with girls.

That’s tempting…

I’ll be over in 15 minutes xxNialler

I tried to focus on my history homework but I kept glancing at the clock. He’d be in 6 minutes. I sighed and ran downstairs to my bedroom. I brushed my hair and applied a little more mascara. I brushed my teeth quickly and put on some lip gloss. Good. I shook my head as I headed upstairs when I heard the door open. Partly because I should’ve known he’d come right in and partly because I couldn’t believe I was getting ready for him. I guess I wanted to look good for him. He had that effect on girls...

“Hey beautiful.” Niall snaked an inked arm around my stomach before I had a chance to turn around.

“Hi Niall.” I said, hoping to get rid of the butterflies that flew around my body. Why did that happen? I shook my head and removed his arm.

“Let’s do homework.” I sat down at the dinner table.

“What do you have?” Niall asked. He sat down and picked up a piece of paper. I didn’t see what it was, so I didn’t take it from him. I listed off my classes for sophomores as he read the paper. I glanced up from my planner and saw a smile playing on his lips. Realization hit me.

“Don’t read that!” I snatched the paper from him but it was too late.

“You think my earrings are cute?” Niall played with the small black studs in his ears.

“No, that wasn’t me who wrote it.” I blushed, scanning mine and Sam’s notes from 3rd period.

“Funny. Then why did you say, on this line, ‘shut up Sam’ and the writing matches this one ‘I kinda find Niall’s earrings cute.’…Hmmm?” Niall pointed to the lines.

“Okay whatever. So what? I find them attractive.” I confessed.

“What about my tattoos? Which is your favorite?” Niall pressed. I glanced at his right arm and pointed to a random tattoo. I turned my attention back to my planner but I couldn’t read anything.

“Really. What do you like about it?” Niall raised an eyebrow at me. I sighed and gingerly picked up his right arm with two fingers. I turned it over and searched his arm. Strangely, the inked arms that normally turned me off were now intriguing.

I smiled and re-read a tattoo.

“I like that one.” I pointed to Niall’s right wrist which was decorated with a barcode and the words “Made in Ireland” under it.

“I like it too.. I got it last month. It’s pretty cool, huh?” Niall looked at his tattoo and for a moment, his voice turned sweet almost. Instead of being rough and demanding, it was quieter and softer.

“Yeah…I’ve always kinda wanted-” I quickly ended my sentence and picked up my pencil.

“You’ve always wanted what? A tattoo?” Niall asked me. My blush gave it away.

“Yeah...” I said, still looking down at my homework scattered across the table.

“I can go with you if you’re scared to.” Once again, the sweet Niall voice returned. I brought my eyes up to his. I looked deeply into them. I saw a glimpse of the old Niall. The one I knew two years ago when he was my age. Sweet, quiet, and loving. Without dyed hair and tattoos and studs. I blinked and tried to erase the image. Still, it stuck in my eyes.

“No its fine. I don’t want one now. I don’t think Liam would approve.” I said flatly.

“Why?” Niall’s mean voice returned, crushing my image of the innocent Niall. “Liam has tattoos.”

“Yeah, but he got them when he was older than my age.”

“How old are you?”

“I just turned 16 in January.”  

“Oh...okay whatever.” He looked down and almost smiled. Was he thinking about how he was a little less than 2 years older than me? Within Liam’s strict “You can only date someone 2 years older than you” rule? Or maybe that's just me...

I tightened my jaw and forced myself to convert Spanish 2 verbs. I hated Niall Horan, right? He was mean and demanding. He was a bad boy. I didn’t really like bad boys. I wanted the romantic, un-tattooed ones. He caused too many fights. He’s almost gone to jail one too many times. He got drunk and hooked up with the first girl he sees every Friday night.

Still…Was it possible the old Niall was still in him somewhere?