Chapter 1

Today starts another school year of being the nerd that I am. Great. This summer I would always repeat to myself:

"This year, things are going to be different. I'll make friends and I won't get picked on by the popular kids. I'll be normal. I'll make sure to lower my grades a bit so I can fit in."

But I wasn't off to a good start because I was already getting pushed in the lockers by some jocks. Also, making friends would be a challenge since I always walk facing down and I'm not very social. I can't help it, I don't like people in general, because none of them understand me. I stopped in front of my locker to get my books.

"Yo brainiac!"

I rolled my eyes. William and his clique were surrounding me. I slammed my locker closed and turned around to glare at him. All the guys put their hands up in surrender. Will leaned on the locker right beside me.

"I see you got better at glaring, makes you look a tiny bit tougher."

I rolled my eyes again. All these guys ever did was pick on others that were weaker than them... Like me. I couldn't defend myself because I never knew what to say. I looked around to see if there were new faces in their little group this year, in fact there was one. The guy was a bit taller than me, dark hair and dark eyes. He looked kind of lost so he stood behind, listening to the others insult me... soon enough he'll be picking on me too. I pushed my way through them and tried to get to class, but one of the guys tripped me and I fell, all my books scattered everywhere on the ground. They high fived each other and walked away laughing.

"See ya loser!"

I started picking up my books when I noticed four hands helping me. I looked up to see a girl and a guy crouching by my sides. After we finished picking up my books and stood up, the girl held out her hand.

"Hi, I'm Alexus. It's my first day here, I come from New York."

I shook her hand. Then the guy held his out.

"My name's Levi. I've always lived here except we recently moved so I had to switch schools."

I shook his hand too. They both awkwardly stood there, until I realized it was my turn to introduce myself.

"Oh.. Uh.. Sorry.. I.. I... My name's Jocelyne and... I... I come from Montreal, Canada, but I've been here for the past three years."

They both smiled at me. My heart jumped when the bell rang because I wasn't expecting it. They both waved at me and walked away in different directions. They seemed nice...

The three first classes passed by so slowly. I hated the first day of school, teachers just went over the rules and stuff. Finally, the lunch bell rang. I grabbed my books and sprinted to the cafeteria to buy my lunch. Then I went outside and sat against a tree to have some shade. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and when I looked up I immediately recognized her smiling face.

"Can I sit with you?"

I nodded and she settled down in front of me.

"So... Alexus... how's your first day going?"

She finished chewing on her granola bar before answering.

"Oh it's alright, went by really slow though. Teachers just go over the rules and stuff..."

I tilted my head. This girl thought like me... Maybe I should really give a shot at this friendship.

"So those guys this morning, that were uh... Picking on you. Who are they?" She asked.

"They're the popular guys. The ones that think they're better than everyone and that it's okay to pick on nerds like me-"

"Nerd?"