Chapter Six

“She’s spending the day with her beloved Ryan.” Carmen derided although she was actually jealous. Carmen stormed back inside Trent’s apartment. After her Saturday morning tennis game she had come back to Trent’s; showered and changed and gone out to see Sienna. Only going out with Sienna for a twin’s day at Victoria’s Secret had only lasted for the trip down the elevator. Just as Carmen was walking through the foyer Sienna sent her a sincere apology text that she had made other plans.

“Talk about clingy.” Trent scoffed. He was about to go out himself to play rugby with the boys at the park but he paused for Carmen placing his Rebook ball down on the sideboard.

“I know. She just canceled on me. For him.” Carmen made her way into the living room and sat down in an arm chair.

“What were you guys going to do anyway?” Trent followed her through.

“Bra shopping.” Carmen folded her arms.

“I could spend the day with you.” Trent suggested.

“I thought you were playing rugby with your friends.”

“But I can cancel. They don’t need me. I’d rather spend the day… With you.” Trent said it knowing he sounded soppy and stupid.

“I have other friends you know. Not just you and Sienna.” Carmen pulled her phone out of her pocket and rolled through contacts: Jennifer, Tamlyn, Leanne, Zelda, Sara, Angeline, Trishna, Naomi, Genevieve, Isabel, all the people who were practically on standby to see her.

“I know. I’m not saying that you don’t have friends.” Trent grimaced trying to recall the exact word when he slipped up and sent her charging.

“What would we do? Bra shopping?” Carmen laughed.

“I don’t mind.” Trent shrugged. 

For the most of the afternoon Carmen was somehow able to put the most of her and Trent’s issues behind them. The shopping excursion was procrastinated probably wasn’t Trent’s cup of tea, although he may have enjoyed it. There was no way the two of them were going shopping again. Not after what had happened last time. So instead the two of them spent the day mucking around in Hyde Park. Having the same kind of fun they had before things had gotten complicated. Swimming in the no swimming fountain. Buying the top priced loaves of bread from Le Mulan Rouge Bakery across the street and tossing it to the pigeons. Dropping coins down the drain that Carmen had once deemed magic and wished aloud for everything they could think of. Once the sun had drooped to hide behind the trees and buildings Carmen and Trent retreated to the city to get a bite of their extremely belated lunch.

They decided to go to a Hamburger joint opposite Circular Quay Station; neither of them really cared about glamour anyway.

“Carmen Lopez and Trent Del Vechio. What a coincidence.” Leanne Bedell stopped them on the street a good hundred meters from their destination.

“Leanne. Just the person we were really hoping to bump into.” Carmen dug her elbow into Trent subconsciously.

“What’s the power couple doing in the city on a day like today?” Leanne asked her arms crossed and a haughty expression on her face. “I hope you weren’t making out in the changing rooms at Robert Jones.”

“No. Actually we were getting it on. We don’t have time for that foreplay, do we Trent?” Carmen scowled with sarcasm. Trent stayed silent. And then it hit Carmen. “Wait. How do you know we made out in the changing rooms at Robert Jones?”

“Why. It’s common knowledge darling.” Leanne had a smug smile stretching the corners of her mouth. “This boy can’t keep his mouth shut when it comes to getting laid.”